Friday, August 03, 2007

Duathlon???

Well the rain has stopped and I'm cycling again. All up, I think I missed 7 days cycling.

Thank you for your wonderful comments, particularly the suggestion that I should give duathlon a go. I have been giggling about duathlons ever since. I think it is necessary to remind you that I ride a CHUNKY bike, with chunky tyres, a fat girl seat and paniers. I would look decidedly odd lining up for a race with my bike!!! Fair enough I could remove the paniers, but there is no disguising that my bike is built for comfort not speed (a lot like me, really). I can safely tell you that duathlon is not on my "to do" list. But, perhaps you have planted a seed of thought - we'll see.

I've been getting massages every week because they are organised through my workplace. (Yes I DO work at a very cool workplace!!) Anyway, Jim, the massage guy has noticed I've been using the elliptical trainer! I've been keeping him up to date with my progress and he said there is a big difference in my calves - mainly that they are tight - but that clearly I have been using them a lot more recently. I get an hour massage a week, and he works on which ever area he thinks needs the work. Sometimes it's a full body massage, other times it's just the legs. One time he spent half an hour on my KNEES!! He's only a remedial masseuse, not a sports masseuse, but I love it! I love my Friday mornings, even though it hurts like hell most times.

Jaykay, you were asking about the calf machine. I'll try and describe it. You sit on a chair with a back rest and there is a bar that you rest your feet on. You then push the bar down with your toes and it exercises your calf muscles. I find that if I sort of put my feet on the side of the bar, instead of the top, I can use the weight of the machine to hold my stretch in place.

10 comments:

Kathy said...

Celeste, at least your giggling muscles are getting a workout. Seriously though, how about a beginner's duathlon? There will be other people there with ordinary bikes or maybe you could borrow one.

Your workplace does sound cool. I think that's one for the suggestion box at my work.

LBTEPA said...

WHERE do you work? Are they recruiting? (I love Perth, my best friend lives there LOL)

Andrew(ajh) said...

Yeah, if your mob are looking for any IT professionals, let me know! I'm with you on the massages - I'm loving them too!

Anonymous said...

I love how a good MT can tell what sort of exercise you are doing based on what your body feels like, mine noticed some changes when I took up pool running.

lg said...

I only ever ride my mountain bike with it's big fat wheels and I love it!!! I would highly recommend a chick's seat though!

They look dreadful but the comfort factor is so much better!

Flea said...

I am always considering a Triathlon, maybe we should try it one day together. Now do I have it right? A Duathlon is cycling and running, a Aquathon is running and swimming?
Did you know I have never had a professional massage!

Anonymous said...

Notihing beats a good massage - or a good MT, and it's fantastic that you can get one every week :o)

I like it when my MT tells me that muscles are feeling more toned, or that they are working properly without lots of knots (the naughty non-firing glute med for instance...) makes me feel that I am on the right track and doing okay :oD

And I agree with LBTEPA - are your work recruiting? :oD

B.

Anonymous said...

I am so moving back to Perth and working with you. I might have to bring my on massage man.

Anonymous said...

Hi Celeste! Thanks for dropping by last month. Sorry it's taken so long to visit. Great to see you're such a dedicated blogger ... I need some of that enthusiasm to rub off on me, jaded old bag that I am! All the best til next xx.

warriorwoman said...

Next time I'm in one of those transition zones I will make a point of stopping to take a snap of some of the "ordinary folk" bikes. Loads of people go out on mountain bikes.

Is the seed germinating yet?