Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Still more rain

Hmmm, I hope I am not using the rain as an excuse, but I haven't ridden to work for a week now. And I didn't ride again today. I've been hitting the gym in the afternoons instead of the mornings, and I'm starting to get used to this new routine. This is not a good thing. I want to ride. In fact I miss riding to work - but the rain just hasn't stopped. More rain and storms forecast all this week. The crappy thing is that I COULD have made it to work in between showers this morning - but I guess one never knows when the rain will start.

I'm working an 8-4 shift now, which is SOOO much better. When I get to the gym at 4.05 there is hardly anyone there. By 5pm as the hordes come in, I'm already on the elliptical trainer. PLUS I still get to ride home in light. And getting lighter all the time!

I did 7km yesterday, still on a resistance of zero, but 7km nonetheless. 1km warm up, 5km as hard as I can, and 1km cool down. Managed to finish the lot in 40mins. I love it because I sweat heaps. I can feel it working. I always concentrate on stretching my calves afterwards, because that's what hurts the most once I cool down. Yesterday I sort of did things in the wrong order - the cardio and then weights. But I sat on the calf machine after the elliptical trainer and let the weight of the machine stretch my calves. It was so good, I might do that next time too.

I'm not going to wish the rain away, because we need it so desperately, but I do wish for a day to dawn clear and bright so I can jump on my bike and just enjoy the ride. It was so nice to pick up my bike from the bike shop after being serviced and ride home. It felt comfortable and very very familiar. Gosh I hope I'm not turning into a cyclist... I'm a runner! A RUNNER!!!!

13 comments:

Flea said...

Hey, that's so cool you are working so hard and getting results soon.
I haven't done much than 2 classes per week so far, as you know sick kids! Grrrrr.
Good to catch up with the missed posts here, and btw I awarded you!

LBTEPA said...

You can be a runner who cycles a lot and does heaps of cross-training to make herself an even better runner, how about that?

Anonymous said...

So which machine do you use to stretch your calves? I don't think we've got anything for calf stretching at our gym (apart from a step) and I HAVE to stretch my calves as much as possible for my recuperation.

Is it a fairly common machine that I've been blind about using for calf stretching?

I'd love to work from 8-4 so that I could get to the gym straight after work, but unfortunately with a child it just can't happen.

running uphill said...

At least the rain isn't stopping you from getting your exercise altogether. Glad to hear that you can beat the crowds to the gym.

lg said...

The rain can get a bit dreary after a while - even though it's needed, it's nice to see blue sky

Iris Flavia said...

Same over here. Rain, rain and more rain, 18 °C. Ummm.... we´re supposed to have summer here!

Kathy said...

Celeste, you'll be able to ride once the weather settles. How cool that you get to the gym before the rush.

I don't much like the cardio equipment so I don't use it much. I guess I should give it a go .. maybe you'll inspire me.

Andrew(ajh) said...

Nothing wrong with being a runner and a cyclist!!

warriorwoman said...

Come on now - you can just about call yourself a triathlete!
You should definately try out a duathlon when you are back on form.

MorseyRuns said...

I once did a duathalon and I will spare you the details of the pain that I encountered- but this was before I knew what taper meant and I was at the gym the night before.

jojo said...

i trained for round the bay one year(well completed 2 consecutive years) but never considered myself a cyclist.still a runner(or squash gal) was just setting other goals as well..

Rich said...

It's great that despite the weather you are still keeping the heart pumping at the gym. The x-training will definitely pay off in the long run.

Anonymous said...

I can hear your excitement about being a runner - congrats on enjoying it so much!