Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Riding commute back

I'm back riding to work again. It's good to be back. Yesterday was very cold however. Three degrees. It's still dark in the mornings but the birds are waking up, so it's quite pretty. By the time I got to the gym this morning, the sky was just light with only a few clouds. I love dawn, easily my favourite time of the morning.

I did another 1km on the tready at 9km/h just to prove to myself that it wasn't a fluke last week. I found it pretty hard going but I made it. Gosh I am so unfit! Got my heart rate up to 168. That can't be good. I might slow it down a bit and hang on for a bit longer. I'm excited about swapping the elliptical trainer for the treadmill but my injury-fear still lingers. I tell myself that I can feel the pull in the achilles, or the calf, or the hamstring - I think I am my own worst enemy.

I know that if I push any longer than about 7 minutes at 9km/h I'll be overdoing it. At least you have control on the treadmill. You don't get that in "real" running - unless you are far more experienced than I am and you are able to keep the same pace.

I'm still looking for mini milestones. I had another one last week. I was at the gym and a lady couldn't work out how to adjust the seat on one of the machines. I was able to help her and I also showed her how to do the exercise. Hey, it's a little thing for most - but a thrill for me! you know what they say - small things....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I checked my HR this morning when I was doing some HIIT on the bike and it was up to 162!! I'm not far behind you....and this was by only going hard for 8 seconds with 20 seconds recovery!

I also love the early mornings, especially if there's a great sunrise happening.

warriorwoman said...

I'm just preparing for my cycle commute now but it is chucking it down again so I'm tempted to go for the train.

9km/h is very fast isn't it?

Iris Flavia said...

The bikes at my gym don´t give a heart rate - maybe better that way (I´d need to pay extra for that) - three degrees - ack, how awful cold! Hope spring is moving in soon!

Anonymous said...

A whole heap of small things make one big thing!

Kathy said...

That's great Celeste. As for those mini milestones, make sure you celebrate them! I am pleased every time I can bend over to pick up something I've dropped. I remember when that used to be a major trauma.

jojo said...

milestone are different for all people..we should always celeberate that which is a milestone for us...