Tuesday, July 17, 2007

A small victory

I'm so glad to read in the comments that 3 degrees actually IS cold! I don't feel so bad complaining about it, now. We're only heading to 20 as a top today, although I notice Melbourne is looking at something like 11. Yikes.

A small victory. When I ride in the mornings it's uphill. I have learnt what gear I should be in at what point, and even what is a good speed for certain sections. Sometimes I have little competitions with myself to maintain a certain speed or stay in a higher gear past the crack in the concrete where I usually change down. There is one bit where I try and stay at an average of 12km/h. I realise that is not fast, but it's uphill and I find it quite a challenge. Well I rode it and stayed at 13km/h for the whole section! A tiny victory but I was quite chuffed. I remember that same stretch when I was trying to maintain 11 and was chuffed at making 12. And now I have suddenly improved again! Now the challenge will be to keep it at 13 regularly along that section. And that's staying seated. If I stand up I can maintain 15km/h because I can stay in a higher gear. Hmmm... I wonder if I could maintain 15km/h and seated??? Something to work towards...

12 comments:

Flea said...

I agree with you, it was really cold! The days are at least lovely isn't it.
We could have kicked ourselves the weekend for not thinking of arranging that forest bike ride!!
Great achievements Celeste, that a way to go. I am skipping my spin class today, got a major head ache and cold symptoms, sneezing my head off here so I thought it better to stay and give my body the rest it demands... you know not getting younger here LOL.
Pump had me sore last week for almost 4 days, but I tell ya I gave it my all!
Do you have weekend plans yet?

LBTEPA said...

3 degrees? THAT'S NOT COLD! IT'S FREEZING!
step by step mate! You'll be spinning up that hill at 15km/hr in no time :)
Remember to use all your gears especially the low ones so your knees don't get too sore

Kathryn said...

Awesome work. Those small victories sure add up :D

JH said...

"attempts" she says and reels off rhyme,
I wonder where she finds the time.
My spell check thinks she's made a mess:
"dicombobulous" needs an "s".

ps. Perth ain't cold, you should be in Sunny Melbourne today.

MorseyRuns said...

I am so jealous- 20 degrees is just perfect! It was snowing just near Melbourne today- and hailing just a moment ago. Your cycling has definitely improved and from my cycling days I think 12k/h is fantastic.

Flea said...

LOL, finally got my belated b'day Ipod shuffle too by now!

Anonymous said...

sigh, 11 degrees would have been toasty, think it only got to 9.

At least I don't live in Ballarat, it was bloody snowing there!

Andrew(ajh) said...

Celeste, I do exactly the same sorts of things on my bike. Doing certain laps under certain times, trying to keep above an average speed for a ride, trying to stay above a certain speed up a certain hill. They are great little challenges and how we all improve. I'm so glad you are enjoying your cycling so much. I haven't even got on my bike this month yet, it's been too wet here.

Kathy said...

Way to go Celeste. I know exactly what you mean about small victories on the bike. I managed to ride across the pedestrian bridge on the way home today - that's exciting.

As for cold - snow is forecast for Canberra tomorrow - max of 5 degrees. Isn't that exciting?

jojo said...

well done on the new milestone.. its great to keep challenging yourself

Rich said...

That's what it's all about, setting little goals like that and pushing yourself to achieve them. Well done Celeste.

running uphill said...

Well done Celeste. Twenty degree days don't sound too bad. You can cope with cold mornings if the days are warm - it's only painful when it stays cold all day (which we have had a bit of lately, though fortunately not like Melbourne).