Tuesday, June 05, 2007

First gym session

Well I've been to the gym "properly" now and I've got a real weights programme!! He he - I'm like a pro! It's very basic but I'm doing core strength exercises and all that good stuff. I have to say I enjoyed myself immensely. NOW I understand why everyone likes the gym so much! My arms are sore today - but I'm only supposed to do the programme every second day. So tonight is aqua aerobics. I'd like to do deep water running, but I want to check out the pool and stuff without oddly gawking - you know, less attention being drawn to being out of place and that sort of thing. Besides I figure I can ask the instructor about it - in the hope that she is knowledgable of course. The only description of deep water running is what I've read from Em and Jojo's blogs - I think I need some further instruction. PLUS I figure the aqua aerobics is good exercise anyway. That's at 6pm so it'll be a late (and cold) cycle home!

I want to develop some good habits, so I'm going to go to the gym before work for my weights, and after work for the organised sessions. But not every day because I think it would then become a chore. So Monday, Wednesday and Friday for weights and at least Tuesday and Thursday afternoons for sessions. Then anything else is a bonus. Plus I'm still cycling to work, so I'll get a little cardio every day anyway. There's yoga on the weekends too.

Oooh! Oooh! I bought some new gym clothes. And some yoga pants - which just look like floppy tracksuit pants to me. But they're Nike and they say "yoga pants" and they were expensive - so I hope someone will be impressed by them. Now I have one gym outfit and one yoga outfit - I'll see how long I last before I feel the need to buy more. I only own fat girl swimmers (you know with the little skirt that supposedly hides all the rolls of fat). I might yet be too embarrassed to wear them at aerobics - so togs could also be on the shopping list. I'll have to sus out what the "pros" are wearing. Except if they are all in bikinis. I don't do bikinis.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just rejoined Fernwood and they've upgraded all their equipment to the ones with the personal screens too. Very snazzy aren't they.

I also go along with everyone who says to get to a spin class. They are fantastic and you can just work to your own max.

If you want yoga stuff, go to Kmart. They have a really good range of wicking pants and tops.

Enjoy your aqua class.

Samurai Running said...

Sounds wonderful Celeste.

Must be exciting but that will be tempered by pain so all round seems like you're on your way to a higher level of fitness.

All the best

Andrew(ajh) said...

Glad you are enjoying gym, the weights workouts will help with the weight loss no end. Be careful getting out of the pool then riding home in the cold, rug up warmly!

running uphill said...

I'm impressed by your yoga pants Celeste. I usually wear tracky pants, shorts, whatever (then again I do yoga in a converted dairy on a friend's farm). Sounds like you will be getting plenty of excercise now.

LBTEPA said...

My experience of aqua aerobics is there won't be any bikinis, don't worry. New stuff is your friend so you will definitely need more gym clothes and certainly new bathers.
BTW thanks so much for the FUNNIEST COMMENT I HAVE EVER HAD ON MY BLOG. You are a legend, it was just what I needed :)

jojo said...

hey celeste..feel free to pm me on ausrun if you want any info on water running(runjanerun).. its quite good..i dont do bikinis. either but i do the tankini which the top is like a tank top and you can pull it down so you dont show midriff..yep not more than every second day with weights(can leave longer too) because weights break down the muscles and the rest days are when they repair and rebuild

Lulu said...

Sounds like a great plan. I did a lot of water running last year when I was injured for 3 months. It's a really good way of keeping up your fitness.

You need to be a pool where you don't touch the bottom and it is best if you have a flotation belt. You just stand upright in the pool and do the normal running action. It can be a bit boring so I normally make it an interval session; ie 90 secs hard 2 mins recovering or longer intervals. I've even got a water running programme that I downloaded somewhere.

Iris Flavia said...

Wow, that sounds very consistent! After my holiday I will go regularly to my gym again, too and whilst watching TV do some easy Yoga-exercises from my Yoga book, which is from the seventies! At least that´s what the pics in it look like, it´s from Kareen Zebroff and I think it´s still up to date.

Have fun in the gym! :-)