Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Treadmill triumph

Those of you who know me well will know that I am studying. I've got a very important "exam" coming up. It's not really an exam, but essentially it is the same thing. I either pass or fail. It has consumed my thoughts recently - because if I fail I will not be permitted to keep studying at the university, or I will have to change my focus substantially which amounts to the same thing.

Anyway - the point. For the next four days I will be enveloped in my own little world, not even coming up for air. I am worried about my exercise regime. I'm no good at maintaining a routine when I travel at the best of times. Unlike people like ajh who seem to be able to exercise anywhere!!

I went to yoga at the gym on Sunday. It was yogalates - sort of a combination of pilates and yoga. The class was so big I couldn't see the instructor because of all the people. I found it very difficult and tried to copy off the people in front of me. I was one of the lucky ones who got a mat and a fitball. Others turned up and were told there was no room, and no equipment left. Not really good organising.

I did weights on Monday but struggled to find empty machines. It was so busy you had to wait at a piece of equipment until someone finished and then you could use it. I think I might need to rethink the times I am going. Clearly everyone is going at the same time!!

Now for the naughty bit. I jumped on the treadmill for 5 minutes. Only 5 minutes, but I found it easy at 8.5km/h! Man it was great! I was really frightened I'd get into trouble - like a little girl stealing lollies from the lolly jar! But I didn't get into trouble and I had minimal pain. Still I am not going to overdo it - having learnt the hard way - so 5 minutes will be plenty for now. Almost like a reward for going to the gym! Hee Hee!!

And now I am away for four days - sigh. Still, my cardio seems surprisingly good so hopefully I'll be OK if I don't manage to do too much exercise.

13 comments:

Sarah said...

I totally understand the whole study/exercise disruption - having just done my last semester 1 exam ... now I can get back into a normal routine.

I think your gym will settle down once it's been open for a while and those who aren't committed will fall away. Or go after 9:30 - generally quieter in the middle of the day.

Yay for the treadmill, be careful though won't you?!

Flea said...

Thanks for the exam wishes, same to you!!! I am taking a quick break and blogged! he he he Addiction mayhem!

I am frustrated when my gym is too full too, usually after new years or easter people flock to the gym, I agree with sarah it will become quieter soon enough, you'll see.

Tready time! Well done, my fastest jog is still 7km/h or 7.5km/h, you are too fast!

Let's catch up again after all the studies are over, maybe a coffee?

warriorwoman said...

Good news with the treadmill - glad it didn't hurt you.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the exam :-)

Great news about the tready, I'm glad to see that your enthusiasm hasn't waned at all ;-)

running uphill said...

Good luck with the exam and I'm sure that 4 days away won't alter your fitness.

jojo said...

yep.best of luck with the exam..you might find you need to clear your head and go for a walk! great news on the tready too :)

Iris Flavia said...

I´ve never been on a treadmill - I would be afraid to fall and hence prefer the recumbent bike. I can read my books there, too.

Good luck for your exams from here, too!

Samurai Running said...

Hey Celeste

all the best with your study I can't imagine studying at that level and I'm in awe of you being able to balance that and your regular life.

I guess you can't always balance everything so it's OK to take a little time off one thing or another.

looking forward to hearing newws on how you went with the study when you get back.

Anonymous said...

LOL, I feel that way when I do the little skip/run from the pool to my towel (it is an outdoor pool and very cold when I get out).

best wishes with the exam that is not an exam

Kathy said...

Celeste, if you get yourself a personal trainer at your gym, they will be reminding you to breathe. Make sure you remember to breathe while you're in your own little world.

I'm glad you enjoyed your 5 mins on the treadmill.

Good luck with the "exam".

LBTEPA said...

Good luck with the exam :)

Lulu said...

Good luck with the exam. I'm sure you'll pass with flying colours. Woohoo for running 5mins.. It's a start on the way back.

Andrew(ajh) said...

It is funny, but I sort of find it easier to get up in the mornings when I'm travelling or away, than I do at home.