Monday, September 15, 2008

Changing habits

Thank you all!!

Well this changing habits thing is harder than I thought. I was all set to go for a "real" run/walk but then other things cropped up - and as I have done so many times in the past few months, my exercise was pushed to the side.

So I'm trying a different approach. I'm working within my existing habits and making them more mobile. For example - there are two buses I can catch to work. One drops me off directly outside my building - the other stops at the convention centre and it is a bit of a hike to my building. Normally I catch the "lazy" bus and mentally congratulate myself for getting to work quickly. Today I caught the other bus and got off one stop early. For Perth locals, I got off at Jacobs Ladder and walked into the city. Not a long walk by any stretch of the imagination, but fairly decent. Then, because I normally get into work very early I eat breakfast at my desk. Instead of my croissants and hot chocolate I got muesli and orange juice. Remarkabley satisfying.

So while my exercise is not up there - yet - I am conscious of the choices I am making.

For the record, I was still cycling to work until a couple of months ago when it was dark when I got to work and dark when I left, and very very cold. I got out of that habit - and perhaps time to get back into it now that the season has changed.

3 comments:

Andrew(ajh) said...

If you keep making little changes like that, you'll be back where you were before you know it!

jojo said...

21 days and it become s ahabit i believe-muesli is lovely too!! its almost like dessert---errr almost

Flea said...

Great stuff Celeste.
I started again also to make more conscious choices and add those extra activities. Was just handed a small muffin at work the other day, just put on my desk, some girl felt like baking ... when she was gone after an hour on my desk I wrapped it in tissue and chucked it. Next time I hope she asks, "would you like a muffin" I felt bad but proud!

Getting back on the bike here too again after 3 weeks of the flu, yik. Sad one loose it so quick.

BTW, enjoy Melbourne you lucky girl.