Sunday, April 01, 2007

Bridges Fun Run

It was a beautiful morning for a run this morning - nice and cool. I got there early because hubby was doing the 5km and needed to catch the ferry across the river to the 5km starting point. The ferry left at about 6.3o so I had an hour and a half to kill before the start. I stood around aimlessly for a while, then said hello to a couple of people I recognised from the running club. I stood in the sun because I was freezing, and eventually just sat in the sun and waited for the start.

I didn't see any numbers I recognised from the list I had written on my hand of people from the forum. (By the time I finished the numbers had worn off so I had to hope others would remember mine.) Soon there was a heap of people arriving for the start. The organisers said about 2000 runners so it was all very exciting as I lined up on the road for the start. I started Percy when the gun went off and then stood there for a while waiting for the people to move!! It was probably only 30 seconds I guess - and I started running!!!

Very early on I realised I would be one of the slowest. There were a handful of people run/walking and they managed to stay in front of me all the way (dammit). Someone would start walking and I'd overtake them and then they'd run and zip past me. Then they'd walk and I'd overtake them and they'd run and zip past me. It was actually VERY demoralising. I did not manage to reel them in. I got overtaken by a walker too. I was trying to do little mental calculations as I was going along. I knew I wanted to aim for 1 hour and 20 minutes. That's 8 minutes a km. At 5km, I was on track. At 6 and 7km I was still just on track. That's when I knew I had to push it because I could feel myself slowing down. But I had nothing left. I could feel myself getting slower and slower. The run/walkers were getting further in front and I couldn't do anything about it. At the final straight, there were a group of walkers toddling along towards the finish and I couldn't catch them. It was all I could do just to keep moving.

Suddenly hubby appeared at the side of the road and cheered me on. It was a wonderful boost and I picked up for the last 200m or so. But it was too late by then. An hour and 20 had passed. Sigh.

I finished in an hour and 22 so I ALMOST made it. I thought I would feel quite chuffed because it's a great time for where I'm at physically. But seeing those run/walkers has just reinforced to me how slow I am and how much work I need to do. I was buggered. I gave it everything. And I still struggled through 8 minute k's. NEXT year I'll do it in under 70 minutes. AND I'll beat home the run/walkers. So there. So while I'm feeling disappointed, I'm also feeling incredibly motivated. Just wait, you'll see good things out of the Pilbara household in the months to come.

I never did see anyone from the forum, which was a shame. It would have been good to put faces to the names.

18 comments:

Simlin said...

next year you will do 60mins!

Kathryn said...

Well done. You did a 10 km run and that's a great achievement. Just remember it's not that long away that a 10 km was just a future goal :)

Sarah said...

Oh Celeste, don't be discouraged!! You've done something soooo many people haven't, and something so many people think they can't do. Your time isn't the important thing, you finished and that's a huge accomplishment! You were so close to your goal time. You gave it everything you had, and that's awesome!

And I agree - next year you'll be under 60!!

Shame you didn't see anyone from the forum (CR??) - that would have been a nice finish to the day for you ... next time!

Anonymous said...

Good on you Celeste, just imagine smashing that time in the same race next year.

My first 10Km didn't go to plan either, there was quite a bit of vomiting involved to at least you were spared that :-)

But you have done it now, and you were very close to your goal. Plenty of other runners would have opted for the 5km, you took the brave choice and chose to challenge yourself.

Be proud of yourself and keep running.

Samurai Running said...

ggowpqiFranky Celeste I like your attitude. Being disappointed shows that you have the spirit to do better and as you did your best it shows that you have the heart as well.

As Sarah said don't be discourged though you will get faster. You need more time, experience, on your feet and if you continue pushing your limits you will change all aspects of your self.

No doubt, within the next year or so, you will be looking back at this day thinking "Wow I now do my first 10K race time in training."

Rest up before getting back into it.

Andrew(ajh) said...

Celeste, well done on the 10km accomplishment. Don't be disappointed with the result - you are an inspiration to all of us, I hope you know that, with your attitude and achievements! Just keep enjoying your running that is the main thing!

MorseyRuns said...

What a cool run- I love the sat. picture. Don't worry about those pesky numbers - you still got up and ran further than nearly everyone this morning- you will smash that record soon and think nothing of it. Everyone of these comments is true- you have done so well and you will continue to do well. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

I love your attitude. You gave it your all, that's all that is required. Those times will come.

Kathy said...

Celeste, well done on running 10 km. I'm so impressed! In fact, you've helped to inspire me to try it in a couple of weeks. Thank you for your enthusiasm and fabulous positive attitude.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about those run/walkers, they only start running again cos they can hear you approaching. Imagine how demoralised they feel when they are capable of running away from you at such speed only to have you reaching them over and over again.
Steady eddies always win (eventually).

Anonymous said...

Well Done us. What a great time considering you had to run for a one legged gimp as well as yourself. Don't be so hard on yourself about missing the time you ran 10 km. Next time set yourself a Gold, Silver and Bronze Goal. When I did my first 1/2 marathon Gold was sub 1hr 50min , Silver was 2hrs and bronze was to run the whole way. So find a goal you can live with, one that will make you happy and one that you can brag to the whole world about. So proud of you, well done

Ruune said...

Celeste, I know how you feel. You know in your head that you shouldn't get discouraged but it is so flipping infuriating to be working so hard and be surrounded by people who, well, aren't.

It makes me determined though to keep improving so that I can stick amongst the runners sooner rather than later.

Wanda Ring said...

You did awesome!

You obviously have tenacity AND stamina.
You ran for over an hour.Some people find 20 minutes a struggle without stopping!

It's disappointing when you don't hit the mark you wanted,but this is what will fuel your training.

I'm sad I didn't get to meet you!

Forward Pilbara,forward!
On to the next one hey?:-)

beakus said...

Well done Celeste! What can I say? You are a star, and I agree with all the others, you will smash that time next year. Remember that it's not so long since you started running this kind of distance, so to get so incredibly close to your goal is fantastic.

Congrats!!

B.

LBTEPA said...

Chin up mate! Everyone has a day when it just doesn't come together - next time you will blitz your PB! And remember when a 10km was just a dream?

Vicky said...

I've just found myself nodding and agreeing with all the above comments - its all so true. I like what Scott said about feeling disappointed being a good thing cos it means you'll strive to do even better. At the same time you have come so far already and you did your best on the day. I know you won't stay disappointed or discourgaged for long - thats just not you. Just keep chipping away Celeste, you're doing great and 10km is a huge achievement.

MAR. :-)

Flea said...

Well done! You should be so so proud of yourself! Maybe next time i'll try to run it too!

Anonymous said...

My gosh I was expecting you say you were 10mins of your goal. You were only 2mins off. You did 10kms...thats a blinking long way to run.

I know its a slow process to achieve the goals we want to achieve in this running caper. I am sure we will all get there eventually. Enjoy the journey :)

Congrats on your 10km race, I think you are awesome :D