Wednesday, September 26, 2007

What a pain in the neck!

A couple of days ago I was very proud of myself, having lifted my run/walks to two 8minute runs on the C25K.

Today - not so happy.

Actually, more precisely I am cranky.

I have hurt my neck and it is, of course, self inflicted. Apparently it is a combination of poor posture, sitting at a computer and lots of other minor things that have built up over years and years (I was in a high speed car accident about 15 years ago) - until I hit the tipping point on Sunday. I thought I "slept wrong" but by Monday I was dizzy and the pain was getting worse. I skipped my run (and felt guilty). By yesterday my arm was numb and I had pins and needles in my hand. I knew then it was more serious than sleeping wrong. I went to a physio who told me my neck was like cement. I got feeling back in my arm, thankfully, but no relief from the neck pain. This morning I woke up and I couldn't move. Very scarey. I went to the chiropractor and he took x-rays. Not surprisingly, my neck is out. The discs in my neck are pushing on my nerves and grazing the spinal cord. This is not uncommon, apparently. And usually only manifests itself when something tips you over the pain threshold.

The good news is I WILL get better. I won't ever have full movement in my neck, but that's hardly an issue since I did not realise that I didn't have full movement to start with! And the good news is I can get better with regular chiropractor visits.

The bad news is I need to stop running and going to the gym (AGAIN) until the pain settles down. I will be able to run and cycle and go to the gym SOON but not until I at least get full feeling back in my arms. Then the chiropractor will give me gym exercises which suit me and will not aggravate my neck.

I have to be flat on my back today, with very slow deliberate neck exercises every hour - just to get some movement back. Hopefully by tomorrow I will be able to go back to work. The chiropractor expects me to be immobile when I first wake up in the morning, but I just need to wiggle a bit and gradually move my neck and I should be able to get out of bed. I have no strength to lift my head up when I am lying down, but I can quite happily sit upright once my head has been lifted.

If I sit still, I FEEL perfectly fine. It's just pain. Finally I get up to two lots of 8 minute running after all that time and this neck-thing kicks in. I just hope I won't lose too much of that fitness before I can get out there again. I reckon it'll only be a week or so. So it's really not as bad as it sounds. Just like a cold or something.

9 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

Awwww that sounds more than just a cold to me - but great you can see it as such ;-)
Awww, that sounds horrible! I had that in a very minor way as a kid twice. I bend my head and, autch - there it stayed for a couple of hours. Not funny, even that...
Hope you recover quickly and proper as well and are soon back on the road!
I can understand that not being able to get out is very frustrating... also, in addition to the pain!
Good health to you!

jojo said...

sorry to hear matey...but take it easy eh?

warriorwoman said...

Blimey, you are not having a lot of luck with this running. It's great that you keep coming back though, the bug has clearly got you and won't let go.

Kathryn said...

That sucks. Hope it doesn't take long to get better and you're on your feet again soon.

MorseyRuns said...

Ohmigod I am wondering what I did in a past life- but you must be making the same enquiries! I hope someone is peeling grapes and feeding them to you in your time of need.

Kathy said...

Poor Celeste. I'm sure you're highly motivated to do whatever it takes to get back on your running feet.

Let us know how you're going. Hugs.

Andrew(ajh) said...

I had something very similar a few years back. My chiropractor also does acupuncture which seemed to help me. Hope it recovers quickly !

Anonymous said...

Oh brother, Celeste what can I say??? That is just the pits!!

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Take care :)

running uphill said...

Here's hoping it gets better quickly. If there was an event for being patient you would surely be in the lead.