Tuesday, November 06, 2007

"Eliza" dressed for the Cup

I'm happy with my run again today. 25minutes running without stopping. All up 4.6km in about 40minutes. I felt strong all the way through the run. Percy shows my pace as up and down but I felt consistent and very comfortable. I had enough in the tank to try for a negative split. I made it, but only just. Funnily enough, I felt my strongest at about 3km in. According to Percy I pushed out a 7minute 15second km!!! Wowwy Zowwy!! Although I still felt OK, I consciously made the effort to slow down again because I knew it wouldn't last.

At my turn around point is a statue in the water called "Eliza". It is a bronze statue of a woman about to dive into the water. It is in the location of the old Claremont baths. Today Eliza was decorated for the Melbourne Cup. Someone had put a dress, gloves and hat on her. Goodness knows how they managed to get it on her -I suppose someone swum out and climbed up. They would have to be dedicated. Speaking of the Melbourne Cup, I only just realised that Victorians get a public holiday for the Cup. I don't know where I've been all my life, but anyway today was the first time I realised that!!! Obviously I've never lived in Victoria. Of course life goes on for the rest of Australia.

Thanks for the comments about the Red Bull air race. Unfortunately I didn't take any photos! I didn't think of it. My bike was already packed for a BBQ, I had heaps of stuff, and a camera was the last thing on my mind. It was spectacular. You'll just have to trust me.


5 comments:

2P said...

4.6k without stopping is good but a negative split is really excellent Celeste - well done. Your return to running is going gangbusters!

I believe those scallywags in the ACT have caught onto the public holiday idea for the cup too.

Anonymous said...

Can you imagine how many sickies us Victorians would take if we weren't given a public holiday....

Sounds like the running is going really, really well for you.

I love looking at your maps too. My sporttracks doesn't want to play ball so I never get to paste mine into my blog :0(

Andrew(ajh) said...

Well done on another good run, it is so great to see you progressing so well!

Kathy said...

Celeste, it's the race that stops a nation! Some country towns in Victoria have the holiday on their own local race day rather than on Cup Day.

Well done on the running front.

jojo said...

..i usually find first 2kms i absolutely suck! while im warming up..and wonder if ive FORGOTTEN how to run..lol...and then after that is usually an improve-depending on the session of course!