Friday, November 23, 2007

Getting fitter

I'm feeling very confident this morning. I've discovered a new way to assess my fitness. And it's painless. I wanted to do another interval session this morning, using Week 1 of the C25K. I had such fun last week. Well I managed to convince hubby to come with me. I told him it was one minute running and I said we could do 90 seconds walking. To make it a little more tempting for him, I told him he could have the iPod and control the speed. Now, as a bloke he naturally walks and runs faster than me. I thought it would be cool that I would (for once) probably be able to keep up with him. Now he is not fit by any stretch of the imagination, but he's also not quite as, ummm, well-built as I am. Anyway, I could more than keep up with him, I was running the pants off him!! (Well, not literally of course.)

It was a great revelation for me.

I AM getting fitter. I mean, I know I am because I can now run 30 minutes. But sometimes it's nice to have confirmation, you know? Hubby struggled. The running was much faster than I usually do it, at about 10 km/h. But I managed fairly easily. It wasn't easy but it was comfortable.

You'll see from the picture that the distance was much shorter than usual. About 3.5km. Another revelation! I've been covering a pretty decent distance in my runs lately - well for me. We didn't even make it as far as the old boat shed, let alone to the Eliza statue!!

And, Em, I haven't used the "O'" word once!!!!


Unfortunately, on the back of all this confidence is another trip away for study. Not unfortunate for the study, but unfortunate for the running. Seven days this time instead of four days like last time. Very intensive. But I will try my best to find time for a run or two. I leave tomorrow. You probably won't hear from me for a week - I tend to get quite one-minded and extremelly focussed in my own little bubble of study. Bear with me until I catch up with you all.

8 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

I know what you mean! Before I went to the gym my boyfriend used to push me on the push-bike uphill - as a friendly gesture ;-)

Later on I just drove away and heard him gasping for air behind me!

Being fit for sure is fun :-)

Andrew(ajh) said...

Good luck with the study break!

Kathy said...

I love those moments of revelation. Well done Celeste!

Enjoy your study break.

jojo said...

have fun bubble girl :) (if you have ever watched seinfeld you may find that comment funny :)

MorseyRuns said...

That is great (but you don't want to encourage the husband too much!)

Anonymous said...

LOL

You beat a BOY!!

You certainly are getting fitter, next stop 45 minutes non stop, I reckon you'll get there early in the new year at this rate.

Lulu said...

You've been working very consistently at your fitness so there's no doubt you're fitter. Hope the study goes well.

Anonymous said...

Have a good study break Celeste and I hope you do find time to squeeze in a couple of runs :)