Monday, November 05, 2007

Red bull air race

Yesterday I had the choice of going for a 5km WAMC fun run or watching the Red Bull air race. I couldn't do both because of the difficulty with transport. All the roads in the CBD were closed yesterday for the air race, so I was going to ride. I ended up piking on the run and watching the planes. I rationaled it by telling myself that I can't yet run 5km, although I am getting closer. I also was going to get heaps of exercise riding everywhere. So the choice ended up being fairly easy. I had a wonderful day. The planes were spectacular!! The news said there were 300,000 people along the banks of the Swan River and I'd believe it! I've never seen so many people!! Everyone there to watch these little acrobatic planes fly just metres above the water looping through gates at 400km/h.

I started off on the river then I made my way up to Kings Park to meet Java and family for a BBQ. Just as packed with people at Kings Park!! Heck of a climb on the bicycle though. I've never ridden from that direction before and there is a dirty great steep hill from the city up to Kings Park Road. I had to stop and push my bike and it STILL almost gave me a heart attack! Obviously my cardio vascular fitness is not as good as I would like to believe it is.

We headed to Synergy parkland for our BBQ. We figured it wouldn't be as packed because you can't see the river from there, but we were wrong. People, people everywhere. We had to line up for the BBQ. But it was worth it. Great company, great weather, great day.

The weather nudged 30 degrees, not a cloud in the sky, beautiful and clear. Perfect weather for an air race. I got a bit too much sun though. My poor winter skin had no idea what hit it and I was exhausted last night. My legs are sore this morning, so I take that as a good sign. Clearly the bike ride was decent exercise for me even though it doesn't count to my monthly km run.

This morning I couldn't even drag myself out of bed for a run. An early night tonight for me. I hope I can go for a run this afternoon - otherwise definitely in the morning.

6 comments:

jojo said...

sounds like a great day..and the best kind of exercise is the type that at the time seems'incidental'

warriorwoman said...

I'd love to see those crazy pilots one day. Where are your photos of the day?

Anonymous said...

I would probably have watched the air race as well, it looked pretty exciting on TV.

Kathy said...

Easy choice Celeste - you don't get to see those air races every day of the week.

Sounds like a fantastic day. I'm with Warrior Woman - I'm looking forward to the photos too.

Iris Flavia said...

I would be in for the pics as well! :-)

Flea said...

Whoo hoo, we had fun too.
We didn't even took piccies?
We should do it again soon.