Thursday, January 11, 2007

Fast walk this arvo

This afternoon hubby walked home from work, so I walked to meet him then turned around and walked back with him. For some reason he's started a health kick and although he will not run, he WILL walk! Normally when he walks it's a stroll but since this health kick started he walks with some serious pace. It was too hot to even contemplate a run, so I had resigned myself to just walking before I even left the house.

All up tonight it was 4.7km in about 45 minutes. Not too bad I guess. The problem was that I couldn't keep up with hubby!! I was walking as fast as my pudgy little legs would move but he just strode away. I had to run every minute or so just to keep up! The irony, of course, is that he COULD run with me because he WALKS at my running pace but he refuses to. I don't know how people walk that fast! And that's still slow compared to some! The benefit was that I had a SIGNIFICANT negative split for the "walk" so that's gotta count for something.

In fact, as I think about it, I think that's my first ever negative split! Now just to do it when I'm running a marathon!!!

5 comments:

Kathryn said...

I'm a fast walker and very impatient. It drives me mad when other people don't get outta my way!

Well done on the negative split (and nice use of technical running terms).

lg said...

Hee hee, I went for a run/walk the other day and it took almost the same amount of time just to walk it!

Go the slow runner!

Vicky said...

I'm actually enjoying the walking now, on the days when I can't or shouldn't run, which has surprised me. Good to mix it up. Keep encouring Hubby and you never know, he might just surprise you and start to run!

MAR.

Kathryn said...

Just wanted to say, re your comment on the yoga - it's definitely worth doing. On the days I do yoga I feel so much better running (and I think a little faster). Still trying to work out if the best combo is yoga then run or the other way around.

Btw. I have a couple of yoga dvds I do at home but I reckon a class is a great idea to get the moves right when you start.

Anonymous said...

It's weird isn't it, my wife, also not a runner, is a really fast walker.