Wednesday, January 10, 2007

No more frozen bread!

Good run today! I managed 7.3km and only walked a km and a half. I ran 5.5km non stop and it felt surprisingly easy. Percy told me I was only travelling at an average of 8.25 minutes a km so no wonder I felt good!!! Percy also told me that I walked 3km! LOL! At least it's getting slightly better.

I've been running at a pace that has been comfortable for me lately - it sort of started when I decided that times were not important. I'm out there, I'm moving, so my body will tell me when I'm ready for the next step. I'm very happy to keep plodding along - long and slow suits me just fine.

When I can make 10km, I'll be super impressed with myself. I'm still a bit off but not that far. I'm looking forward to finding running routes in Perth - the river will figure strongly, as will Kings Park. All I need to do is get the distances right!

I went and did some groceries this morning, including buying a loaf of bread. The bread is frozen and you get it from the freezer section. I can't remember the last time I bought a loaf of bread that was "fresh". That will be a novelty when I get to Perth - I'll probably go into the bakery section and squeeze all the bread with a stupid grin on my face!!! There IS a bakery here, so you can buy freshly baked bread (in fairness) but they don't make the yummy grain breads like Burgen or Helgas. Certainly most of the bread consumed in Karratha is frozen. Another thing the city folk take for granted - like daily newspapers, but don't get me started there either. Ooh ooh - and movies! And sushi! Sigh, the city is soooo appealing.

11 comments:

lg said...

LOL, I can't wait to read your posts when you get to Perth - you are going to be like a kid in a lollyshop! In saying that, I can't imagine what it would be like to not be able to get fresh bread - I think I take that stuff for granted.

Well done on the run Celeste - that change of thinking seems to have worked wonders for you!

Vicky said...

For some strange reason I had it in my head that you were moving today (Wed) Hence the 'see you on the other side' comment ! Oh well, not much longer anyway. You are so right that you take things for granted til they're not immediately available - I'd die without easy access to Sushi!!
Its even my daughters fave food!!

You're running is going great, 7+ kms is nothing to be sneezed at.

MAR.

MorseyRuns said...

You won't know yourself soon Celeste- how exciting. I have sushi for lunch nearly everyday and I never appreciated how lucky I was!

Anonymous said...

Celeste, I think your attitude is spot on, the important thing is that you are out there moving and most importantly enjoying yourself and challenging yourself.

I had never thought of not being able to buy fresh bread. You're right us city folks take a lot for granted.

Anonymous said...

Classic, you are getting so excited.

Walking into a bakery for me is just about one of the most exciting things in the world, I come over all funny :-)

Can't wait to read about you discovering all the cool things in your new home.

Sekhmet said...

You go girl!!!

And I think you will be sub 8mins before I am at 5mins lol

Stu Mac said...

The simple things are always the best, I know what you mean re simple foods, I lived in the bush with the Army upto 3 months numerous times and fresh foods are a REAL treat!

running uphill said...

Keep it up Celeste and those times will drop (if not i always think well it's more time on my feet). A little bit excited??

Anonymous said...

Bread addict here......

I love Hegas bread, but will normally buy 2 loaves when they're on special and put one in the freezer to keep fresh.

I'm so looking forward to reading your posts once you get to Perth.

Ruune said...

Celeste, I agree that you shouldn't worry about your speed too much. At the ultra-beginner stage I think that it is far more important to just get the body used to the action of running and trust that it will get more efficient with it over time.

FWIW I have noticed that my general training runs have slowed noticeably as it has become hotter in summer, so I wouldn't be suprised if you notice a jump in improvement when you move to a more comfortable climate.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the move! You sound so excited :o)

Helgas... mmm... great bread. Can't wait for your posts from the big city :o)

Long and slow is good - every k helps Celeste, plus I think Deege has a good point, having run in such a hot place you'll feel on top of the world running somewhere a bit cooler.

Beakus (couldn't sign in, grrr).