Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Start to 2007!

First run for 2007 and I had no problem getting out of bed this morning! I ran 5km and walked 2 and a bit and it took just over an hour. I figure if I can do at least that every time I go outside, I'll be well on my way to my goal of 2007 km for the year.

It was hot this morning and the change in the weather also brought in the humidity. I walked the last 2km with the fly net and the air was oppressive. I left before dawn and, you know, I think the coolest point was just as the sun broke through. It didn't last long but I swear that a cool breeze came up with the sun.

The route was my normal route, so the picture Percy drew me is not exciting - certainly not really worth posting. Much more exciting is the progress of the cyclone. It's still only a tropical low but it is forming into a cyclone quickly. We may only get a "small" cyclone - not that any cyclone can be called small! It also looks like it might just miss us - so that's good too. But these things are unpredictable and we'll know for sure tomorrow. We are also expecting some rain with Isabel so I hope the flooding is not too bad. It's generally the water that causes most of the damage, as opposed to the winds. Storm surges, flash flooding and rain in a region that is usually dry can wreak havoc. This cyclone has formed quickly so there has not been much time for it to intensify. That's good news for us.


Every cyclone is different. I've only been through 7 (Isabel will be number 8) and no two have been the same. Some zoom through and drop lots of rain, while others hang around, follow the coast and scare the bejeezus out of you! The thing is, you can never tell which will be which! I check out the BOM site or listen to the ABC radio and we are kept pretty well informed.

Blue alert is first. That means a cyclone is coming. Yellow alert means get ready, the cyclone is definitely going to hit. Red alert means batten down the hatches, stay inside and hope for the best - the cyclone is right outside! Schools close on yellow alert, and many shops. Everything shuts on red alert - you can't drive your car and you most certainly would not even think about going for a run! I've been through red alert twice - not nice both times. The radio and tv play warning sirens and the police drive around getting everyone off the streets.


4 comments:

MorseyRuns said...

Isabel- such a pretty name! Hope it is still safe for you to keep running in the next few days- maybe if it is windy enough it will blow the flies away.

Sekhmet said...

So will you stop once you get to 2007km? ;-)

Wanda Ring said...

I just had a run in a light shower!

I kept banging my nose on the glass door, but it was still great!

Seriously,hope you get a LITTLE GENTLE rain to give you a nice change :)

lg said...

7 cyclones OMG - I feel a bit stupid complaining about my measly weather. Well, the only positive thing is at least you seem to get heaps of warning - it still wouldn't lesson how terrifying the experience would be - I hope you went and stocked up on food!