Friday, January 19, 2007

Monkey Mia

We left Karratha yesterday after a couple of mad days furiously packing. The removalists came Wednesday morning and I spent the remainder of Wednesday cleaning the house. Twelve hours in the car yesterday (with a cat) and we arrived in Monkey Mia. It’s a huge state – we’ve still got six hours of driving before we get to Perth.

I haven’t been for a run in four days. It’s the longest break I’ve had since I started. Strangely enough I don’t feel all that guilty – simply because I have not had the time or ability to go for a run. If I skipped it out of laziness, I’d probably feel differently but I just physically haven’t been able to run. However I am worried about what little fitness I have been able to accumulate. I feel like it’s all just ebbing away – all that hard work. I wanted to run yesterday, and I said to my husband that I was going to go for a run come hell or highwater – but we didn’t arrive in Monkey Mia until 7pm and the restaurant closed at 8pm (can you believe that?? And it doesn’t get dark until 9!) so we decided that eating was our top priority. Then it was too dark – but I did walk on the beach! There was no way I could have run on the sand though, man that’s hard work!!

This morning we got up and went to the obligatory dolphins – it’s the ONLY thing to do here! The dolphins are beautiful and very friendly. There were three mothers with their calves including one calf that was only days old. Very special. They reckon that the dolphins are just as curious about us as we are about them. They roll around in the shallow water having a good look at us. Then they’ll splash the water with their tail and the crowd will go “ooooh” and you can almost see the dolphins laughing at us. After about half an hour they leave. Just like that. They only feed them one fish each these days to encourage the dolphins to hunt their own food. So the only reason they come into shore is really for the interaction. And it appears to be generational. The young will continue to come back to Monkey Mia and bring their young, and their young will bring their young.

Another walk along the beach to get to the interaction area and a walk back to the room has been my only exercise so far today. At least it’s light enough to see what I’m doing. There don’t appear to be any running tracks, but I’ve have a bit more of an explore today. We don’t leave until tomorrow so I’d really like to find somewhere to run this afternoon – or even at midday since the maximum temperature is expected to be only 28!!!!! Bliss!!!!!

The do have pedal boats so we may hire one of those and I’ll see if I can get a sweat up that way. Still no guilt feeling about the running, but that nagging worry about my fitness. I’ve brought Percy thinking he could draw me a pretty picture of Monkey Mia – but I’ve had no opportunity to use him yet. Maybe later.

I have to say that I did not realise that the resort was a backpackers. There are only six “chalets” and they were all booked so we are staying at the “Dolphin Lodge”. Beautiful view of the ocean from our balcony (as I write this!!) but it is backpacker accommodation. Unless you are the sociable touristy kind I would not recommend it. Still, the room is clean and we managed to get a private bathroom but it reminds me of boarding school. Communal everything else – kitchen, laundry, living area. Not really what we had in mind! And at $195 a night, a bit more communal than we were expecting. We were expecting motel units. Ah well – it’s all part of the experience.

Another two or three days until we get to Perth. I will run when I can, and probably post less, but when I arrive in Perth I hope a routine will quickly develop!

10 comments:

Sekhmet said...

Safe travels Celeste! I hope kitty is OK - I had my two locked up in their boxes for 10+ hours on the drive to Sydney and I felt so sorry for the little buggers :-(

Anonymous said...

Don't stress too much about your fitness. Once you get settled in Perth and back out there, you will be surprised how quick it all falls back into place.

The dolphins sound beautiful :)

MorseyRuns said...

$195 for backpacker accomm??? Plenty of time for running when you get to Perth- though it would probably make you feel better- those long car trips aren't much fun for the back. Your kitty will forgive you when she realises that she doesn't have to put up with goannas any more!

Samurai Running said...

Hi Celeste

Sorry I haven't read you blog for a while, I've been real busy but
like the Monkey Mia dolphins the reason I "come to shore"/ blog is really for the interaction. So happy to be back.

Yes don't worry a few days off never hurt anyone.

running uphill said...

Don't worry too much about your fitness, as long as you have the desire it will come back. Safe travelling.

Kathryn said...

$195 to stay at a backpackers, man that's not good. Still if you have your own room and bathroom that's something.

Happy travelling and hope you get in time for a run.

Wanda Ring said...

Are ya here yet,are ya here yet?

I haven't been to Monkey Mia in years!
The one time I got there we camped.

Without an air matress.

On shell grit.

Travel safely and make sure you stop off at Bakers Hill bakery for a pie.

Cos..everyone says you should do that.

Anonymous said...

Yikes, that's pretty pricey for a backpackers.

Continue safely on your journey, Perth awaits.

Vicky said...

How exciting - first a goanna, then the dolphins! Hope the rest of your journey to Perth goes well and look forward to reading all about your new surrondings when you get settled and running again.
Don't worry, it will take more than a few days - or even a week - off to lose your fitness, in fact it will probably do the body (and mind) the world of good. You will feel renewed and refreshed when you get out there again - esp in cooler temps!

Cheers, MAR.

lg said...

I second Morsey's comment - that is an obscene amount of money for backpacker accomodation!

I think the rest from running will make you refreshed. Hope you are there safely and getting settled in!