Wednesday, January 24, 2007

I've landed!

I'm in Perth! Phew what a trip! I've been going through withdrawals without my internet access! The cat is here safely but I suspect she will take some time to settle. Now the unpacking begins and I have to start with routines again. I went for a run yesterday and again today - there is so much to explore! I wish I was capable of running really long distances - I want to do it all in one go!! Perhaps it is better that I have to ease into it.

The weather is magnificent!!! In the mornings it is cold enough to be slightly unpleasant until you get warmed up in the run. It's wonderful! I went straight to the river yesterday and to Kings Park today. There are so many people out exercising - some who look somewhat like me! I don't feel silly being super fat and trying to run - others are in the same boat! I'm not sure if my fitness has been affected or if I am simply shell-shocked from the trip but I needed quite a few walk breaks over 5 and 6km. But the running itself WAS easier! When I stopped to walk I cooled down and could start running again much easier than if I was in the heat. Percy tells me I am running faster (when I do run)! I LOVE it here!!!

I'm sure the weather will not last but my first memory of Perth will always be this perfect weather - clear skies, cool and a gentle breeze. I've found myself just sitting outside whenever I can. The temperature during the day is perfect - that temperature where you can't really tell if it is hot or cold, it is comfortably neutral. And last night I had to wear long sleeves! I'm going to have to buy a jumper soon!!!

I haven't joined a running club yet - but will do soon. Hubby wants to do all the touristy things so we might take a drive down south in the next week and have a look around. When I settle properly I'll get into a routine. And I still need a job!!

Thanks for all your comments - bear with me while I work through all the blogs I haven't read in the past week.

12 comments:

MorseyRuns said...

So glad you arrived safely- and the weather has been perfect for you! Enjoy the running while the weather is nice- we were experiencing Karratha weather last week in Melb and I can understand why you will love Perth so much.

lg said...

Yeah - you really sound inspired to be there. I bet it will be a pleasure putting on some winter woolies when the time comes. I think that's what I love best when I run - seeing lots of different people of different abilities having a go - it is extra motivation to have a go! Excellent work on the speed!

Anonymous said...

Yay, you've arrived.

You must tell me what temp it is when you feel the need to wear a long sleeved top?

I can understand how much cooler it must feel after being in the constant heat!

Sekhmet said...

Glad to see you've all arrived safely

I don't think I've ever seen anyone so excited at the thought of buying a jumper - brilliant!

And congrats on your running, gotta love a town that makes you run faster :-)

Kathryn said...

Sounds like it's all good. Enjoy the running :)

Anonymous said...

You traveled all that way and you are already out running - great spirit.
Good luck with your running club, I wish I could pluck up the nerve.

Anonymous said...

Great to here you've arrived safely and are enjoying it so much. I agree about the morning runs, once you get out there and there is a bit of a nip in the air it is magnificent - if only I could drag myself out of bed.

2P said...

What an adventure - so many new routes to explore and places to see - good to hear puss made it as well - cats aren't renowned travellers.

There was an article in the R4YL a while back on a running club in Perth - it looked very friendly.

Vicky said...

Yay! You're there! So glad the weather is just to your liking - sure it will make all aspects of life much easier and more pleasant! Great job on the runs and oh so exciting to have so much exploring to do! Look forward to hearing all about your discoveries!

MAR.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to your new home!!

If I may be so bold......never feel self conscious, when I see a bigger person out there running my first and only thought is "way to go" :-)

Hope you have plenty of great runs in WA and that you can suss out a running group to join, you'll really enjoy the company I think.

Anonymous said...

Really glad to hear you arrived safely. It is a great city the old Perth, enjoy every god dang minute :)

Samurai Running said...

Welcome to civilisation. It's going to be a wonderful new life for you two.

Keep on running and blogging.