Sunday, November 19, 2006

Another hour

I looked forward to this run all week. Long and slow. Suits me to a tee. I'm going to ditch the whole timing thing, and go by distance. So today I did 7.5km. And I felt like I could keep going. In fact, it was hard to stop. When I did stop, my legs wouldn't go in the right direction and they felt heavy and painful. Yet, 10 seconds before that I was thinking that I could probably run 10km! There is something to be said for getting into a rythym. I didn't realise I was in any sort of rythym - until I started to walk!

Even though I'm not really timing anymore, I think it is still important to point out that the run took me over an hour. I'm not breaking any land speed records here.

I think what I will do is gradually increase my long run every week until I get to 10km and then hold there for a while. At my current rate that'll be 90minutes - long enough for the time being. I might also lift the distance of one of my mid week runs - to say 6km.

I've decided I'm going to be a long distance runner. Might aim for the Half Marathon in Perth in 2007. That's in September. Quite a reasonable goal I reckon.

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

Nice going. I did about 8.5-9 km yesterday and it nearly killed me!
Good luck with the half marathon. It's great to have a long term goal to work towards.

LBTEPA said...

Absolutely do the half-marathon - what a great goal - my first half-marathon really changed my life b/c it showed what I couald really do if I tried. Go for it!

and thanks for the lovely post on my page :)

Wanda Ring said...

I did the same thing when I started out.
Concentrated on distance!

The Perth half is definately a good one to have as your first because it's nice and flat!
:)

running uphill said...

A good goal Celeste. I plan on doing my first half marathon next year so it will be good to watch your progress.