Sunday, November 26, 2006

I saved a man's life today

Well perhaps that is a little TOO dramatic. How about I "might" have saved a man's life today. I was all set for the SiS3 and was about of bed at 4.30am to beat the heat. A little after one km in I saw someone lying half on the road half on the footpath. This whole running thing must be getting to me because for a split second I actually thought about keeping going because it would upset my time!! Fortunately common sense prevailed and I stopped to see if he was OK. He was probably drunk and didn't quite make it home before passing out. He was lying on his back and I knew that if he could choke to death unless I put him on his side, unless he was dead already of course. I kicked his boot a few times but he didn't move. I shouted at him and shook him and his eyelids fluttered but his eyes were rolled up in the back of his head. I tried to roll him on his side but he was heavy. Some old fellow came out of his house and told me to leave him alone. I said he could choke if he was left on his back and I kept trying to roll him over. The old fellow said he had already called the police. By that time I had rolled him over onto his side. He was breathing so that was fine. Then I took off at a bolt, disappointed at the time I had taken to help this fellow! This man might live to see another day, and I am upset at wasting 30 seconds!!

I started my run conservatively hard but had that slight hiccup between kms 1 and 2. I really pushed it hard to the second km, trying to make up lost time, which I guess was a silly thing to do. By the same token though, my stop gave me a chance to get my breath back a bit. I tried to maintain my pace - which was about 7.30 pace - good for me. I was struggling in the last km. But I pushed it as hard as I could. I'm glad I wasn't wearing a heart rate monitor because it would have blown up. I gave it everything. I crossed 4km in 29.58!!!!! Yippee!! My last km was 6.59! Wow! Smokin'!

I overtook a walker just before I finished and then he overtook me when I stopped. I was puffing and panting and carrying on - I'm sure he would have thought I was having a heart attack! I kept walking to get my breath back, and ended up walking past the place where I helped the man earlier. There was a wet patch on the ground where he was laying but there was no sign of him. The old fellow came out of his house again and said someone threw a bucket of water on him and he got up and walked off. Well at least he wasn't dead - and maybe, just maybe, he has me to thank for that.

2 comments:

Sekhmet said...

OMG!!! What an eventful morning! I might have to nominate you for Aussie of the Year now ;-)

Wanda Ring said...

You lot must be floating in water up there!
We'd have to work up some spit to get him off his back what with the water rationing!