Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Fat and unfit

I started running as a way of increasing my fitness with the added bonus of losing some weight. Sometime over the last couple of years I've piled on the kilos. Not sure exactly when that happended, but as I recall it consisted of nice, lazy weekends with lots of food. It was a lifestyle. But now my lifestyle has changed.

I started running about 3 or 4 months ago. I was on the C25K program and made the 30minutes in 10 weeks (from a base of ZERO). But the 5km has taken much longer. I'm now running 5km, not so much with "ease" but certainly "easier". It still takes me 40minutes. I'm built for comfort not speed - but I hope to change that too!

Like anything, running is about consistency. I'm getting out there 4 times a week and running. Not far, and not fast, but running. I worry about injury so I haven't pushed myself yet (well - beyond struggling through 5km!). My knees and ankles are supporting a lot of weight and performing an action to which they are not accustomed! So I'll take it easy. And I'm enjoying the journey.

I don't want to be slim. That's not me - it never has been. But I'd like to be fit and healthy. If that means I am slim, well it's an added bonus!! I've never been good at dieting because I don't have a problem with being fat! I'd like to be thinner, sure, but to get there I'd rather run a marathon than eat lettuce. Of course I understand the irony that a good diet improves running - and I'm working on that!! I have changed my diet but I am not "on" a diet. Minor distinction but important!!

By the way, I have not been on this journey alone. Struggling through the C25K programme, I stumbled across a runners forum. I posted to this forum regularly and they were incredibly encouraging. Advice from many different people, some of whom had already taken the journey I am now on, served to inspire me at so many different levels. My milestones were rapid and each one magical. These milestones were supported and celebrated by the forum members.

I am far from being a runner (yet). But the journey has begun. And, you know, I don't want that journey to end too soon. I'm enjoying the travel!

1 comment:

Vicky said...

I esp love this post Celeste, good on you for being happy with who you are. So many ain't!

Go girl!

MAR.