Thursday, November 30, 2006

I have a watch compulsion

I've really got to stop taking my watch on runs. I become so obsessed with the times. I did 5km today in 40.42. Not too bad for me. I decided that I would push the first 2km and managed 14.53! Not my fastest but good for me. Anything under 15 minutes is great. Then, because I have this timing compulsion I decided to measure a no-frills km. Just me running comfortably, no hard work, no sprint finish. My "comfortable" km is 8.42!! So slow.

If I hadn't taken my watch, I would have been pleased that I managed 5km. But no, now I have to think about my pace being so slow!

It was a beautiful morning. I can't remember when it was so cool. It was still only 25 degrees when I got home. Still heaps and heaps of flies, but I guess I can't expect everything.

OK - next run. No watch.

3 comments:

Ruune said...

Gosh, don't be so hard on yourself. I love analysing my runs but I am really trying to get into the habit of comparing myself only to the people that are sitting on their butts not running at all.

Your 5km time sounds pretty good to me - and it is great that you are keeping on the go regularly.

Kathryn said...

5 km is great - just think how much better you are than a month ago!

Leaving the watch at home sounds like a top idea. If you are focusing on distance then don't worry about the time :)

Wanda Ring said...

Well,now you've done it.
If you don't take your watch you will count your strides,or mentally calculate the length of your shadow from start to finish! Yer doomed I tell you!

But seriously,it is sometimes nice to run without a watch.It feels liberating! and you sound like you're doing brilliantly!

GO you good thing!