Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Trying hard

Today I was going to do 4km then see how I felt as to whether I tacked on another km. My husband left at the same time as me to go for a 2.5km walk. Having read about tempo runs on the forum, I decided to try and catch him by gradually increasing my speed. I needed to catch up by my 3.5km mark because that's where he finishes and I keep going to 4km.

So I started slowly and consciously increased my speed every km. By the time I hit 3km I knew I was in trouble. I was going faster than "comfortably hard" and knew I had to slow down. I could see my husband in front of me but I couldn't catch him. He beat me by about 200m. I was disapppointed but at the same time I realised that the run was pretty good. Excellent training. My speed between 3 and 4km was pretty slack, but I pushed it right at the end. Then I walked about 500m home. I was flat out making 4km, I knew I wouldn't make 5km today - but it was a nice solid 4km.

I didn't take my watch with me today - because initially I was just going for a nice comfortable run. But now, I would like to have seen my splits! Probably just as well though because I tend to travel slightly slower than I think I do.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Well done. Pity you didn't get your times but then I'm sure you will next time.

I was thinking about you yesterday and the heat you run in, cos I was struggling doing my run in 33 degree heat! It must make it so much harder having to deal with that all the time.

Wanda Ring said...

What was your fly swallowing ratio?

Did you know Sharon got one stuck up her nose?
I think she may be hardcore!

Great running! :)