Thursday, November 16, 2006

Hard to get out of bed this morning

This morning I didn't want to wake up. The alarm went off and I started telling myself that it was OK to go back to sleep; it was more comfortable; easier; and it didn't really matter if I missed out on one lousy run. So I rolled over but I didn't sleep. My mind then started thinking about how I would feel if I didn't go. The tired part of me said I could go later this afternoon. The guilty part of me knew it wold be too hot, so I took a deep breath and just got up. I need to learn a lesson from this - as soon as the alarm goes off, jump up. Don't think about it.

I was 15 minutes late going out the door, but I went! I had no real plan for today so I decided to see how fast I could run 2km. If you are reading this Joey - you are the inspiration for this! But I also wanted to see if I could hold that pace, after a brief walk, for 4km. I don't know what I was thinking! My first km was 7.30 (pretty good for me but still knowing I needed to keep some in the tank). The second km was 7.18 which means 14.48 for 2km. Anything under 15 minutes is pretty special! Then I walked for a couple of minutes and still managed to cover 3km in 23 minutes, another quick walk and I finished 4km in 30.51. Not my best time, but better than usual. I always manage to do a better time when I take walk breaks - still not sure why. Then I finished off with a 2km walk.

It was hard work today. Hot. I puffed and panted, but by the time I got home I felt great, as I always do after a decent run.

2 comments:

Samurai Running said...

Hi Celeste

Came across your blog and was interested to see you lived in Karatha. I lived there for a couple of years during the building of the gas refinery.

In Japan now, have been running for three years and although not my PHD I do have a masters in Linguistics. All the best with your two goals.

Sekhmet said...

Well done for getting up and going! And go you good thing - speed demon ;-)

I have been feeling guilty for not running, but as BB says - if I go and run badly (which I will because I'm not well), I'll just beat myself up for having crap runs. Better to wait for my pills to kick in

Doesn't stop me from feeling bad though :-(