Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Club run number 3

I went to another club run tonight. It is a 6km route and I went out very hard with Jenny. Well it was about 7.30 pace so fast for me! I was going to do the same thing as last week - hang onto Jenny for as long as I could. Tonight we were joined by an older lady Margaret. Jenny and Margaret were happy chatting so I sat in just behind them, quite content to focus on staying with them! At about 2 and a half k there is a drink stop and we stopped for about 2 minutes but I kept Percy running. Jenny went off to the loo and asked us not to wait, so Margaret and I kept running. Margaret was being very kind and running to my pace, clearly it was an easy run for her, but I was struggling. She kept me going when I would have stopped had I been by myself. It was much faster than I thought I was capable of, so I was really pleasantly surprised when we passed 4km in 29 minutes. Somehow I managed to keep going and we passed 5km in 36.40!!! I slowed dramatically in the last km (I was stuffed) and we finished 6.4km in 48 minutes - but that includes the two minute stop. I was really pleased!!! It is the first time I have run with someone for the whole distance (I have been getting left behind) and I KNOW that was what made the difference! Amazing!

After my beaut run on Sunday, I woke up Monday with a really stiff neck. I thought I must have slept wrong or something. Because of all the advice recieved on the Ausrun forum, I decided to contact a sports massage therapist instead of the cheapy place I found in the shopping centre. (You know the cheapy place - where you walk past with all your shopping and sit on a chair in full view of everyone and it costs like 10 bucks. I've seen them at the airport too.) So I forked out $70 for a massage (which I can claim on my health insurance - Yay!) and I told the chick about my running. She understood!! Turns out the problem was in my legs and not my neck - my back has been trying to sustain sore legs and that has worked its way up to my neck. I didn't even realise my legs were tight! After the massage I realised immediately that my legs were tight and I hope I never let that happen again! It was just my inexperience and inflexibility - I didn't realise what "full movement" actually meant! No wonder I could only shuffle! Anyway, upshot is that my neck is still really tight but my legs are a bit better. I need another massage in a week and then I should get one every month or so. Since I can claim it on health insurance, I might just do that!

So I didn't sleep wrong but I might also run with clenched fists. Will have to watch that. The sore neck was something that had been building for months. And the massage has certainly not harmed my running!

The things you learn....

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous run Celeste!

I need to get a massage as well, its just finding the time.

Anonymous said...

Is that 36.40 including the two minute drink stop? Either way its a huge improvement but it does make a huge difference when you've got the moral support. It's such a psychological sport.

MorseyRuns said...

What a great run! I am glad you got the legs, back and neck sorted- I took Stu Mac's advice this morning but kept forgetting and my arms would creep up again.

Kathryn said...

You legend! Doesn't it feel good when you do more than you think you are capable of :)

As for massages, I reckon for the few bucks you save going to a shopping centre place, it's not worth it. A good MT is worth their weight in gold. And don't you love that feeling of loosing up in places you didn't even realise were tight.

2P said...

Wow that was a great run.

Yeah you should try and make sure your hands arms and shoulders are loose when you run - I always get annoyed when I do a body scan when I'm running and discover I've tensed up - I use a mantra - "relax and go faster" ;-)

Samurai Running said...

Hey Celeste

So did the massage guy use oil? Did you get up for a run the next morning?

I'm asking cause I heard the "oily bird gets the worm." or something like that ;)

Anonymous said...

I love my Massage Therapist...well not really LOVE her, but love the way she makes my body feel after an hour of pummelling!!

She's also a runner so knows exactly what I'm talking about when I try and explain which bit hurts.

Great run time too.

Anonymous said...

Hey, well done, I am just catching up with your posts over the last week. I am so glad you have kept going back for those club runs. More importantly your attitude is spot on, just keep it up and you will continue to improve.

I have the same MT as Jay, she is a treasure.

Thanks for your comment yesterday. You know, it's all about baby steps. The first time I stepped on a treadmill I could not run for 2 minutes. The first time I went 5Km without a walk break I did a huge happy dance. You keep it up with your determination and fantastic attitude and you will surprise yourself with what you can achieve.

Andrew(ajh) said...

I keep saying I'll go get a massage too, but never get around to it!

Kathy said...

That's great Celeste. You're inspiring me to join a club too. And to get a massage! Only I'm going to go for the relaxation massage .. no pain for this little black duck!

Ruune said...

Well done Celeste. That is a great run.

running uphill said...

The massage sounds great Celeste. Oh, good running too :-)

LBTEPA said...

just noticed your comment about bras on idiet - I used to have to wear 2 bras, but have lashed out and bout an Enell sports bra - and they are an absolute godsend, your girls do not move at all. I don't work for them or anything! They are expensive but brilliant. I got mine on ebay.

Anonymous said...

Well done on continuing the club runs. Massage = Miracle well for me anyway. Keep going and well done on the improvements