Thursday, February 15, 2007

Joined running club

Yesterday I went along to my first training session with the West Australian Marathon Club. I turned up a little nervous and unsure but everyone seemed friendly - albeit very fit! I was starting to feel very much out of my depth when the conversations turned to "slow" six minute kms. Another lady, Jody, was there for her first time too and was worried her six min k's would be too slow. I still think 7 min k's are fast. Still, they were very welcoming and a lady, Jenny, said she would run with me as she was usually slow. So off we went! The shortest route is 6km and most runners went for 10. The club house is on the river and they run up one bridge and back along the other. Jenny ran very slowly with me and we had a lovely chat but it was hard work for me! At the 4.5km point she pointed me in the direction of home and went off to add on a couple of faster k's! So I plodded slowly by myself back to the starting point where a few had already finished. I felt a little awkward because I wasn't sure if everyone hung around and waited for everyone else to finish or what the go was. I stretched for a while and a few others came back, jumped in their cars and left. So I left too. Another lady told me about Monday night runs at Kings Park where they train on the hills. She was very polite when she said it might be beyond me at the moment, but I was still welcome to come along and have a go. So I might do that. I'm not going to get better unless I train with those who are better than me! I'll certainly go back next week - after a few weeks I'm sure people will start to recognise me and get used to seeing me around. Might even turn up on Monday too!! Jenny said she was usually last and she was pleased to be able to run faster than someone!!!

As an aside, my bra arrived in the mail yesterday. It was lovely to put it on! The Berlie bra has been good but my ladies need extreme support. The little tag on the Berlie bra said the bra could reduce bounce by 40- 50% but that's just not quite enough! The Enell bra straps me in and NOTHING moves! For running uphill the website is http://www.bellaforma.com.au - hope it helps! It's really only good for larger busted ladies. If I could get away with wearing a plain ol' crop top I would!

12 comments:

2P said...

Good on you for having the moxy to join Celeste that is fantastic.

I get such a buzz out of following your progress - ta.

Glad the ladies are snug ;-)

Anonymous said...

Great job Celeste. You'll be running 6min k's in no time.

Hills....not my favourite!!

I get my Enell bras from a company in the US as they are at least $20 cheaper. Quick delivery as well. Try www.ladiesonlysports.com

MorseyRuns said...

I only have modest "ladies" but I wear two bras when I run because every bra I buy feels okay in the shop when I jump around but in real life they are usually useless. I think I need the Enell!
Good work joining the club- no more lizards as training partners.

Anonymous said...

Way to go. It can be difficult joining a new group, almost like being back in primary school again.

I did the same thing June last year, believe it or not I am very shy, I almost packed it in after 2 weeks but stuck it out and now feel like part of the furniture :-)

I have no doubt that you will thrive in the environment and your running will improve no end. I bet I read a post in a years time when you have lost those Kgs you want to shift, you are flying along at 5 minute Kms and thinking, wow, can't even imagine a 7min Km now.

I KNOW you can do it :-)

lg said...

Wow, I am completely impressed that you went along to the club. I have a local club here but am too chicken to go along too - yep, just can't do it!

Maybe if you go along it will go along, it will give me some confidence:S

Sekhmet said...

Great stuff Celeste :-) You'll prolly find that running with the group pushes you a little out of your comfort zone and you'll be speedying up in no time ;-)

running uphill said...

Thanks for the link Celeste I will definitely be checking it out. Fantastic effort on joining the running club. I'm sure the extra company and motivation will be great.

Kathy said...

Wow! That's terrific. Well done.

Hope you enjoy running with the club.

Anonymous said...

Well done on joining the club, I think you're right, perservering with it will be a great way to improve.

Anonymous said...

Great attitude Celeste, its hard to join in with the pros but you've got over the first hurdle and its bound to speed up your progress.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for dropping by my way the other day.

It's a good move, joining a club, I did the same about 4 or 5 months ago and before you know it, you're not the new one.

Can't comment on the bra, don't wear them. lol

Flea said...

If only I live a teeny bit closer and had a baby sitter I would have loved to join you. I knew a handfull of people there at the club, I ran the Pancake run in Kings Park once with them and a Julie also trained in the gym where I use to work, she invited me once for a 10km run and I also nearly died at the pase she set. The manager of the Rossmoyne swimming club also runs there, I trained his jnr squad in the winter once.
Good on ya! I'm so amazed at your determination. Keep it up!!