Sunday, February 25, 2007

From strength to strength!

I went to another fun run this morning - 5km. I made the distance in 38 minutes - 2 minutes faster than anything I had done in training!! There were a few hills and I actually think that helped, believe it or not! I pushed up the uphill (well as best I could) and then recovered on the downhill. There was an older man in front of me and I wanted to keep him in sight. And there was a lady behind me and there was no way I was going to let her overtake me! Between the two of them I stayed focused and motivated all the way! I went up to both of them afterwards and thanked them - they probably thought I was an idiot!! The first 10km runner finished at about the same time (just AFTER me thankyouverymuch) so I congratulated him. He seemed genuinely interested and pleased for me too!!! Runners are so generous, I love this!

The run was at a place called Joondalup in the northern part of Perth. The park is along the banks of a lake which unfortunately has very little water left in it because of this damn drought. I've never been to Joondalup before so that was exciting too!



After just plodding along for what has seemed ages, I'm suddenly having a rush of milestones! 10km without stopping and now 5km in under 8 minutes a k! And I forgot to mention - Percy had me "running" for 217m today!!! What a buzz! I've finally registered a "run"! (Again on a downhill, but so what?!?!) I think a combination of the cooler weather here in Perth and joining a running club has really worked for me. I'll try not to be too disappointed if I "plateau" for a while!!

15 comments:

running uphill said...

Wow Celeste your running is certainly improving. i love reading your blog - your enthusiasm is contagious:-)

Happy running. Don't pay too much attention to Percy, we know it's running.

Sekhmet said...

Yahoo! You go girl - you're a fun run addict!!!

I pretty much used fun runs for speed work last year - it's amazing how much you can improve your speed by doing lots of them!

MorseyRuns said...

Yep this running thing is addictive! Great work on all the PB/ milestones- Percy must be so proud!

Anonymous said...

There is absolutely no stopping you now girl :) Keep up the fabulous work and you will just get better and better!!

Ruune said...

well done celeste. I find that entering races is very motivating - sometimes it is the only thing that gets me out there. Congrats on the PB.

Kathy said...

Celeste, congratulations. That's fantastic. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

I love it, a runner ahead to catch and not let the runner behind catch up. Running hard up hills and recovering on down hills. Guess what.....you're a runner, that's a runner's mentality.

Congratulations on the pb, 2 mins is such a big slice.

Anonymous said...

These old folk can run flippin fast though I find, as can the younguns. On my run yesterday there was a young kid (abt 6ish) doing the 5k with his dad. He kept racing ahead and then turning around, running backwards to egg on his dad. I nearly turned round myself and went home.

2P said...

Top stuff Celeste - but if you are going to chase older men make sure they have lots of money first :-)

Hehe there is also a joke in there about pointing percy downhill but I think I'll leave it alone....

Keep up the great work.

Anonymous said...

Yay, yay, yay!!

Don't you just love the excitement of fun runs.

When Michelle and I started running together we entered just about every fun run we could find.

We even did 2 half marathons a week apart (now that was silly I know!!).

Keep up the fantastic work Celeste.

Samurai Running said...

Hey Celeste

Don't worry about the "plateau." It is here where we all spend the majority of our time.

Now if you can hang in there and simply enjoy it, without any visible signs of improvement, then you are sure to hit new heights sooner or later and you'll have mastered life in the process.

It's a "zen" thing. ;)

lg said...

Go Percy!

Well done Celeste, nothing like a goal to keep you going to the end!

LBTEPA said...

LOUD APPLAUSE!!
What a lot of lovely milestones! And well done on your 5km pb! Keep that glow of satisfaction in your pocket and it will motivate you whenever you run out :)
BTW thanks for the nice comment on my page

Anonymous said...

Great work on the PB .... :-)

Fun runs are great and very addictive ...

Eat Em

Vicky said...

I'm with Steve - you're thinking like a runner now! And thats exactly what will keep you motivated and addicted!

Love the way you spoke to the others afterwards - I do the same thing if something like that occurs.

LOL at 2P's comment!

I'm so pleased for you Celeste, all your hard work is paying off - thats why you are seeing these improvements. Keep it up!

MAR.