Sunday, February 04, 2007

Time on my feet

Today was all about time on my feet. I wasn't trying to run the whole distances, in fact my average pace was 9.42!!!! All up about one hour and 45 minutes. I went through Kings Park but along the river side. I think next time I'll take the inner route. There are a set of stairs up to Kings Park which thankfully I was coming DOWN on this run. But I might try and incorporate them going UP in the next few weeks.I came home along the river and the Perth City triathlon was on. There were hundreds of cyclists but it has only served to confirm that I am a runner and not a cyclist. It might be different because it was a race but they were aggressive ("Get out of my f***ing draft!" - to another cyclists, not to me!!) and very competitive. Lots of huffing and puffing and not too many people enjoying themselves! I've yet to see a running race so I can't really talk! But it was still very exciting and inspirational.

There were a couple of larger ladies plodding along as I came onto the path, so I ducked in front of them with the idea that I would see how long it took for them to overtake me. It looked like they were barely moving, and one of them looked particularly uncomfortable. I am afraid to say I was overtaken very quickly and I had no hope of catching up. I can only think that if they LOOKED slow then I must look SHOCKING!!! Sigh. Just more motivation.

8 comments:

Kathryn said...

I bet they were showing off and slowed down again once they got well ahead of you!

Anonymous said...

Running for time is an excellent idea, in fact I was thinking of trying that for a whole week, just to mix things up.

That was a solid hitout today, well done.

2P said...

Yeah but I bet they weren't running for an hour and forty five minutes!

Nice work Celeste.

MorseyRuns said...

That is still a good long run. I loved those stairs up to Kings Park- if they are the "Kokoda Trail" stairs.

Flea said...

Welcome to Perth!! Visiting today via Sharon's blog and so glad I have came across your blog world.
I hope you guys enjoy life in Perth, it already sounds like it!
Well done on all your running, I truly admire your spirit of commitment. Will visit again.

Samurai Running said...

"I've yet to see a running race so I can't really talk!" Celeste compared to those bike riders us runners are definitely more inclusive.

I haven't heard any of that rubbish
in any races I've been in everyone were gentleman, even the ladies.

running uphill said...

Another solid run Celeste. I love it on the very rare ocassions when I see another runner (when I am away) out running but it is always better if they are going the other way :-)

Flea said...

Those steps are called 'Jacob's ladder' and get used often, there was talk of it getting demolished for housing but it must have fell through because of it's popularity, many city workers go and run it during lunch hour!