Tuesday, February 13, 2007

"Running" today

I tried really, really hard today to run as fast as I could for as long as I could. I kind of had in mind that I would get Percy to register a "run" (even just for a metre or so!) but alas that was not to be. However, although it was harder, I felt better when I ran today. I felt like I was really running instead of the shuffle I normally do. I started my run on a downhill and I decided to just let myself go instead of hold back like I normally do (usually so I don't fall face first into the footpath). Percy tells me my first k was my fastest - 6.42!!!! Can you believe that??? Holy cow UNDER 7 minutes!!! I think I need to get to 6 minutes before Percy believes I am running, but I felt like I was flying! Granted most of it was downhill, but I'll take it.

Percy tells me I managed 4km in 30.39! 30 minutes is getting closer - but I was stuffed!

One thing - my big toe started hurting! Really hurting. I wonder if it is because I was running in a different way to what I normally do, or if my shoes are perhaps not as suited to my feet as I would like them to be, or a combination of the two. I stopped to walk after 4km and the toe got better but then started hurting again when I started running. I don't know - probably my running style. My poor feet just didn't know what happened today!!

It felt less awkward to run but also harder. I've worked out what it is - I lifted my knees. So of course it was harder because my poor thighs had never worked that hard before. But of course it was easier to run because my poor thighs had never actually WORKED before!!!

I ran/walked just over 5 and a half k and walked a k and a half home. All up 7km. I'm going to try and "run" again! It was cool!

6 comments:

Kathy said...

Celeste, you make it sound such fun! Keep enjoying it. You're inspiring me.

Samurai Running said...

Hey Cleste

Good to hear your making the most out of your move to Perth. Do you miss Karatha any?

Anonymous said...

I've adjusted my garmin so that it knows what pace I consider running to be. Without doing that it accuses me of walking when I'm actually running myself raggard.

2P said...

Wow nice work Celeste - um if you are running down hard and your big toe hurts it may be as simple as needing to cut your toenails....

Anonymous said...

Well done Celeste, you are really putting in the effort now, and it will pay dividends. It sounds like you are where I was a couple of years ago, and if I can keep it up, so can you - well done (and believe me it is all worth it).

lg said...

Way to go Celeste - the lifestyle down south seems to be agreeing with you!