Friday, February 23, 2007

I lasted 10km this morning

Hubby drove to work this morning, so I hitched a lift with the intention of a run/walk home. It's about 10km and I didn't really have a plan of attack. I just sort of figured I'd run until I wanted to walk and then I'd walk until I wanted to run. It was a lovely morning! It was light but the sun wasn't up, the birds were singing and it was COOL!! I started off steady and just enjoyed myself. There were heaps of people on the path, and every time I thought of walking, I'd see a walker in front of me. I would think to myself - "just pass this person". Then, of course, I couldn't walk because they would SEE me walk so I had to keep going until I was a respectable distance in front of them. (Is that me being competitive??) Meanwhile, I'm being overtaken by lots of other people who I suspect were doing the same thing! Everytime I got a "respectable distance" in front of the person I overtook, there would be another walker in front of me and I'd keep going again.

I deliberately didn't look at Percy until I hit the bell tower. I figured by then I had covered a neat distance without stopping. I was surprised to see it was 4.5km, so then I figured I'd try and run 5 without stopping. I still didn't have a plan for the run. But when I hit 5km there were walkers in front of me so I couldn't stop until I'd passed them! Then I figured I'd try and run for an hour. When I made an hour I was almost at 8km so I decided to keep going to 8km. When I looked at Percy again it was 8.5km so I thought why not try and make 10km!!

So I did!

My pace was wonderfully consistent - certainly not fast but nice and steady. At the 6km mark I had to go under the freeway and I think Percy lost the satellite which is why it looks faster than the others. I'm pretty sure I did NOT pull a 7.15 km out of my hat at that point!!


Ignore the 11km stat - that's just me walking home, stuffed. But I managed the 10km in 1 hour and 22 minutes!!! WOW!!! I am so proud of my self at the moment - and I feel on top of the world!

14 comments:

MorseyRuns said...

That is fantastic- are you surprised how quickly you are progressing? I think you are so good for consistently getting out there- I have been so slack, you have made me decide that I will definately run tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Well done on reaching a 10km distance, you are going great guns!!

Also good on you for joining the running club :)

Anonymous said...

Firstly a huge congratulations on a continuous 10km run :0)

And secondly, can I ask what you consider COOL? For me, cool would mean probably no more than 15 or 16 degrees, after that it's warm!

2P said...

Wow double digits!!!!! How kewl is that? No stopping you now Celeste.

It truly is a wonderful accomplishment - at times like this it is great to think back over how far you have come on your journey - would you have ever imagined todays result possible?

Now imagine what you can do into the future.....

Sekhmet said...

I love reading abut your running and what an acheivement I've tuned in to read today!

Congratulations on a fantastic run, it's great to go with the flow when your feeling good :-)

Kathy said...

Wow Celeste. That's fantastic. Congratulations. You must be feeling so proud of yourself.

Samurai Running said...

And so you should feel good about that Celeste. You have really come a long way!

Anonymous said...

Well done Celeste. The morning runs are so great aren't they ! I don't know why I can't get out of bed so many mornings, cos I know in my head that if I do, the run will be so much nicer than the humid evenings. I can relate to your "competitiveness" too, I'm exactly the same, when there is someone approaching you have to be "running", can't be seen walking.

lg said...

Wow Celeste, that is an enormous achievement!

LOL at the walkers not having to see you stop - Nah, I don't think of it as competetive - think of it as a training tool!

running uphill said...

Go Celeste. It sounds like running in the city suits you. Who cares what it is that keeps you moving? Being competitive isn't a bad thing.

Flea said...

Fantastic!!!! Wow, you are gooood! I was contemplating meeting you but now I'm to scared he he he. Your Pro girl. The bit of running I do on the tready in the gym went slow yesterday, I could only jog 3min and I was out of breath, must be because of my blood donations I did Wednesday, I didn't have enough red blood cells to carry my oxygen to muscles, I did manage a few extra 1,5 min jogs every now and then untill out of breath again.
I want a Percy too now :) What a good gadget.

Vicky said...

Wow Celeste, you've reached a very significant milestone! Thats awesome. Your last three runs/posts have all included various great achievements and as I've said before, I know you will just keep going from strenght to strenght.
You have every right to feel extremely proud and happy - its such a buzz isn't it?!?!

MAR. :-)

Anonymous said...

Isn't this running malarky great? You get to feel brilliant everytime you reach a new milestone. Congratulations you're fab.

Andrew(ajh) said...

Oh Celeste, I love reading your blog at the moment ... it is always so "up and positive". Well done on another great run!