Saturday, December 02, 2006

Reality Check

Thank you to everyone who has been so encouraging throughout my journey so far. I have been feeling very sorry for myself, and extremely frustrated for the last day or so. Let me tell you why.

Someone on the forum posted the gmaps website, and I was very excited as I measured my normal route accurately for the first time. It turns out that I have been running 3.5km and not 4km as I thought. So my very slow 9 minute km's are even more appalling. Horrified at my shocking progress, I sulked all day yesterday. I didn't even go for my scheduled run - I piked. It is the first run I have missed since I started this. I was little Miss Cranky Pants.

But then I figured it was a good reality check. It gives me a greater appreciation of what other runners are doing without even thinking about it. And I realised that I REALLY have become obsessed with times - and that is not what running is all about, at least that's not what I wanted. So instead of feeling sorry for myself any longer, I jumped back onto gmaps and measured 10km along a completely new route. Tomorrow is my long run. I was hoping to do 8km, but the 8km I THOUGHT I was going to do, is more like 7km. So I am going to set off on my new 10km route and run until I hit the 7km mark and then I'll walk home. And I don't care how long it takes me!!

At least I'll have the satisfaction of knowing the real distance I have covered - and no watch. I think I need to get rid of the watch altogether - yes I'll probably count paces, or guide posts or something else, but no matter. I want running to be about running. I don't want to worry about times - I'll leave that for the races!!

So I managed to dig myself out of the hole I put myself into, which is a good thing. I will improve as I am meant to improve - I can't expect to run 7 minute k's just because others can. I'm still a ton overweight so I've got to expect some wind resistance! I will take my watch once a month - as a reward - and see if that makes a difference.

1 comment:

Em said...

Very good idea about the watch. There are times when it is probably better just to run for the hell of it. When you are starting out or recovering from injury/races are those times for me.

When my foot gets better I just intend to shuffle about and enjoy being able to run, time! who cares, I'll just be glad I can run.

Hang in there, tack on that extra 500 metres and enjoy yourself.