Thursday, October 11, 2007

Arthritis

My visit to the chiropractor yesterday has given me lots to think about. We've been working on this pain in my neck but I thought I may as well ask him about all my other aches and pains. I have this constant dull ache in what I thought was my hip, which I thought was as a result of me not stretching properly. The chiropractor took x-rays and I could clearly see that on one side is a "normal" looking hip and on the other side is a mass of bones all fused together. I have arthritis. It's not in my hip but my sacrum. I have no movement on that side at all. How could no one have not noticed that??? That's why I can't do the downward dog. It's why I can't run. I physically can not lift my knee high enough on the right hand side. And I am crooked so use energy to straighten myself as I run/walk. I am destined to shuffle for the rest of my life. Sigh. On a positive note it is not my lack of flexibility preventing me from touching my toes! I CAN touch my toes but only on one side, which of course is NOT what you do when you are at the gym!! On another positive note - I have an explanation for all my difficulties! It's rather encouraging, really.

Of course the chiropractor is disturbed at my running and even wants me to cut down my cycling. I said no to both (of course!!) and he was very polite and said he wouldn't push the point. I am very pleased that I can continue and I feel an enormous relief that I CAN'T run. I no longer have that pressure on me to improve my times. What I will do is improve my distances!! And just stick at my 7 or 8 minute kms. In the big scheme of things WHO CARES how fast I run???

So with this enormous relief I went for a run last night. I'm not sure what I was thinking, but I decided to see just how much movement I do have when I run. You'd think I'd be relieved to take it easy, but noooooo I have to go and push it. I don't know what the muscle is but it's not my calf and it's not my ankle but somewhere in bewteen on the outside. Anyway it started hurting, so I stopped running. I lasted one 8 minute run and 3 minutes into the next one.

I've got to get it into my brain that I'm after time not speed. I'll continue on the C25K and see how I go.

5 comments:

Flea said...

That's not good news Celeste, but I'm so glad you take it so positively. Promise me you'll go for a second opinion?

Iris Flavia said...

Sorry to hear those news! Good thing you are still seeing the bright side of it. All the best wishes...

Andrew(ajh) said...

I was diagnosed with osteo-arthritis a number of years ago (in the shoulder and upper neck area). If you are not already, you should look at taking a Glucosamine supplement (unless you are allergic to shellfish). It will take a few months, but this will help. Strangely, I was told to increase the exercise with mine. I applaud your attitude to it, and say be careful but keep on keeping on!

It sounds like you have a niggle in the same muscle as I always have problems with. Plenty of stretching, icing and self-massage is Dr. Andrews prescription for this one!

Kathy said...

What a shock that must have been! I'm glad you're taking it so well.

I try to run for the time and not the speed too. Unfortunately those decreasing figures are enticing, aren't they?

I'm happy if I'm out for half an hour even if it's a mix of running and walking. The way I see it is that once my heart rate is up the calories are history!

running uphill said...

Glad to hear you have an answer to all your aches (even if the news was not the greatest). Now you know what you are dealing with. As always I marvel at your positive attitude. Keep up the good work - time not distance is good advice.