Friday, December 29, 2006

Another beautiful day

Another beautiful day in the Pilbara. No wind, cloudless and hot! I did 5km this morning. Makes up for my false start yesterday. I went out yesterday evening for a 3km walk but it was more of a slow stroll because I went with my husband. So it doesn't really count.

I had just started out this morning when I saw a man, clearly drunk, staggering along the path. I was on my warm-up where I walk for 5 minutes. I said "good morning" and went to go around him. He responded by swearing at me. So I jogged to get past him as quickly as possible. He started CHASING ME!! He was swearing and shouting, fairly incoherently. I started sprinting and he sprinted too. He was barefoot, and drunk, so I was never frightened. I knew he was in no condition to last very long, and in the space of about 50m he had fallen over. I kept running as fast as I could to get some distance between us and then I slowed to a walk. The thing is, it upset my warm-up and that put out my whole run! I am NOT a sprinter!! I was puffed for ages!

I don't scare easily and I know how to defend myself, but I would much rather avoid a confrontation in the first place. Still, a bit of excitement for the start of my run.

I had Percy with me, and we were planning on running the same course as Boxing Day. I had the Virtual Partner set and by the time I got to my "starting" point (after my warm-up) I was already 3 minutes in front of the time! But I was puffed, so I elected to do a run/walk along the same route. I kept in front of the time the whole way round, but I was run/walking. I ended up finishing about 5 seconds quicker than when I last ran the course - so Percy gave me a little beep and told me I won.

I'm not sure what the better training is - to run a route without stopping, or to do it in the same time but as a run/walk.

2 comments:

MorseyRuns said...

If it is not the flies or the heat it is the drunks....I can't believe you were chased! You definitely deserve extra points for that, even if you weren't scared.

Vicky said...

OMG thats bizarre!
Drunk and slow or not, I think I still would have been a little frightened... idiot!! How dare he?!?

Congrats on getting the "beep"!!
Well done!

MAR.