Friday, December 29, 2006

Per popular request....

This is where I run:
The blue squares at the top left are the salt flats. It looks very green in the photo, but I can assure you there is no green here at the moment!! The little red square in the middle is my run, but I thought it might be interesting to show you the neighbourhood.

This is my run in more detail. Again, I don't know when these photos were taken but I am guessing they are years old. The area in the bottom right which looks kind of brown is all rocky outcrop. You can hike there but it is not an easy hike. It is called the Jaburara Trail if anyone is motivated enough to look it up! There is ancient aboriginal rock art on the Jaburara Trail but the best stuff is located on the Burrup Peninsula (top picture, just above the salt). We've been in the news recently because the Environment Minister Ian Campbell has just approved the destruction of the 20,000 year old rock art to build industry. Unbelievable. Money certainly talks up this neck of the woods. His reasoning - there are no native tribes left who "belong" to the art. (This is because white man massacred the Jaburara people to extinction in the 1800's.) And also because there is a lot of art in the area, so destroying some won't make much difference. (Despite the fact that it is because there is a lot of art that makes it a sacred site!!)

I'm a bit of a rock art advocate but I'm a minority. Industry runs the area up here - and rightly so, they contribute more than 30% of Australia's GDP just from the North West! Still, wanton destruction is wanton destruction. Don't get me started....

4 comments:

MorseyRuns said...

There was an article about Karratha and the Pilbarra in the Age this morning and absolutely no mention of the rock art! It was all about the new job opportunities coming up there. It looks amazing from the photos.

Em said...

God, I had no idea what they were doing to the Rock Art, that is F%@king disgraceful, I am 100% with you there.

I mean there is no one left who gets buried in Pyramids anymore so let's knock those down as well!

Vicky said...

Yeah, thats crazy. Maybe you should go jog on the spot in front of them in protest and not get out of the way when they want to bust it up! We could all come join you - a united front! Yay!
Seriously tho, thats terrible.

MAR.

R2B said...

I read that industry is so short of labour up there that Fast food managers are being paid $2000 pw just so they won't leave!

Industry is king...