Sunday, December 17, 2006

Motivation, despair, motivation

I find I have to keep my goal in mind because today, mid-run, I lost motivation. I was up an hour before dawn planning to run/walk 10km. I stepped out into the muggy darkness and had to put on my fly net immediately. I haven't seen the flies that bad in the darkness before. I had been hoping for a couple of k's without them, but not today. I ran 3kms and felt lethargic. It was very hot. By 5kms I had finished my water bottle and I stopped. Just like that. I turned around and walked home. All up 7kms. I was over it. Over running. The thoughts going through my head were negative. I've picked a silly place to try and become a runner. I counted 18 flies sitting on my fly net in my field of vision. My feet hurt. And then I thought THIS must be what it's like to have a bad day. More like absolutely crappiest of the crappiest days. So as I was walking home I decided I would stop running. Maybe keep walking but give the running a rest for a while. Then I thought that would be a waste. I've worked damn hard to get to where I am - and I can run 5km!! 8km on a good day! By the time I got home, had a shower and a big drink of water I was feeling much better. It's still bloody hot, so maybe I need to modify the running somehow to make it more achievable. Maybe I need to keep the distances more realistic while it's so hot. Stick to 4 or 5km during the week and maybe 7km for the long run. Anyway, end of the story, I'm not giving up. I'll keep going, plodding along and I will eventually get better and faster and stronger.

Nothing like a bad day to bring everything back into perspective.
Top 10 reasons why running is great in Karratha:
1. I have no injuries.
2. I can run whenever I want (pending the heat and sun of course!).
3. I have a wonderful pair of shoes.
4. The dawn reflecting on the red rock is spectacular.
5. As distasteful as it is, I DO have a fly net - which is better than not having one.
6. There is a small stretch where I get to see some grass as I pass through a Council park (and I look forward to that part! It's the only green I see - everything else is red, grey or dead.)
7. The sky is always clear and it is NEVER cold.
8. I can breathe comfortably when I run now.
9. I have a wonderful online support network.
10. Did I mention I have a wonderful online support network?

8 comments:

Kathryn said...

There's another good thing you didn't mention. If you are used to running in those conditions, any time you run somewhere cooler you're pretty well sure to run a PB :)

Samurai Running said...

Hi Celeste

I agree it isn't the best place to start running but as you point out
it does have its pluses.

If it makes you feel better I read about a American Marine doing marathon training daily in Iraq!

Anyway in a sort of perverse way running in such a place as Karartha
gives you "street cred" and while you could be forgiven if you give it up to walk you should continue as the strength you gain from this will be needed for you to get thru your studies and life itself.

PS I like reasons number 9 and 10.

lg said...

Hey Celeste - definetely sounds like a crappy day. I think irrespective of whatever exercise you choose to do, there is going to be the great days and the not so great days - keep at it, keep looking back at the list and continue to remind yourself how great you have done so far - and in the freaking heat!

You are a legend in my books - even on your crapy days!

Em said...

I think you do really well to run up in that part of the world. One crap run really does make it all seem insurmountable, it has a nasty way of making mountains out of molehills (something I am very good at doing).

But you finished up the post on a positive note and saw it for what it was, just one crap run.

keep getting out there and it will slowly get easier.

Ruune said...

Man, I hear you. Sometimes when you go out you just have a crappy day and it is better to chuck in the towel and go home than dwell in the negativity.

I still have to remind myself that finishing one run early doesn't mean that I am falling into a big backwards slide. Sometimes you just have days like that. And you still did 7km more than you would have if you had just stayed in bed.

MorseyRuns said...

You get points for just getting up intending to run, more points for actually leaving the house for a run, more points for it being hot, for the flies, for the dark, for each km you ran. And remember it is not called walking home, it is cooling down!

Unknown said...

You go Girl, I think you are doing great!! 7km is not a walk in the park especally with heat and flies to contend with. I hate running in the heat and I find you very inspiring :-)!

I liked morseyruns reference to "its not called walking home it is cooling down", excellent view!!

running uphill said...

Celeste just think of the people in the Northern Hemisphere running in layers of fleece, slipping on ice,etc i know which I would prefer (flies and all).

You got out and did it and that's got to count for something.