Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Woo Hoo!! Christmas!!

What a great Christmas!!!

I got a Garmin 205! I was not expecting it at all! I had asked for it, and written down all the details but with one thing or another, I just didn't think I would get it. I was so surprised and pleased that I burst into tears!! My husband was concerned he had bought the wrong one! I also got a running hat from my mother (again under instruction) and it is very schmick. A grey and white Nike dri fit cap. I also asked for a running shirt but I was not specific in my details. My husband bought me a Puma t-shirt, bless him. That's a sports shirt isn't it??? It's bright yellow so people will certainly see me coming. Add onto that the running shoes I bought myself and I had a VERY good Christmas!!!

My Garmin is called Percy. When I was in high school I was in a play and my character was Percy. Then I got an award for perserverence so I became Perservering Percy. Now, anytime I think of perserverence I think of Percy, so Percy has become my new training partner.

Percy and I went for a walk yesterday to get to know each other, but I took him for our first run this morning. He is wonderful!!!


This is our run from this morning. I haven't worked out the map thing yet (or maybe there are no maps this far away from civilisation), but I am amazed at the variety of my pace. It feels like I just plod along, but really I am going up and down in speed all the time. I pushed it hard at the end and surprised myself by getting up to 10km/h!!! There's hope for me yet. All up 5km in 42 minutes which includes a 5min/500m walk to warm up. I have set this run as a course so I can use it as a virtual training partner. Very exciting.
I'm still not too worried about time, but I like to know the distance and my pace. So now I know that for me 7.5km/h is OK. Clearly I AM getting better - because I just did 5km (well 4.5km) without stopping. That's pretty cool.
I ate too much food, but I had a wonderful time doing it! Christmas is pretty much the only time of the year where you can get away with it. Back on the straight and narrow for me! Now just to get through the leftovers....

6 comments:

Sekhmet said...

Woohoo! The maps are from SportsTracks - it's a free program that you can download and is waaaaaay groovier than Garmin TC

My Garmy was squeaking away for most of the run this morning, it sounded like a guinea pig - not sure what was going on but it kept stopping and starting and telling me alllll about it LOL

Vicky said...

Great to hear you sounding so positive again Celeste. Glad you had a great Christmas and I'm sure Percy will be a great companion.

Several times over the past week I have been talking to various (non-runner) friends about my running and the conversation always gets round to the many things I learn/enjoy from other peoples running blogs and the running forums. Each time I've just had to mention how you continue to run thru the heat and the flies and the other challenges that come with living where you do. (Its something thats hard for us here in NZ to imagine!) Everyone I tell is, like me, totally amazed that you don't let these things stop you - you just pull on the fly net and get on with it. That is true dedication Celeste and I am in awe - so many people would give up or just not bother at all, but you are out there doing it and that is something to be really proud of.

MAR. :-)

Em said...

Have fun with your new toy, dare you to draw a smiley face with him :-)

I echo Vicky's sentiments. My partner lived in Dampier for a while as a kid, he thinks it is amazing that you are sticking to your running up there.

Stu Mac said...

Have fun with Percy.


Stu was here... :-)

Ruune said...

Yay, percy!! Definitely download Sporttracks - much better and funner than the garmin training centre. Sounds like the beginning of a beautiful relationship between you and percy.

Wanda Ring said...

What a coinky dink.

I have a percy I like to fiddle around with but it's a..err..nevermind :)