Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Treadmills are not for me

Thank you to all the supportive comments and PM's. I am not giving up running. I've come too far to let it go.

In an attempt to compromise and escape the heat, I opted to go to the gym and run on the treadmill. One thing I will say about treadmill running is that you can't cheat. At all. But the good thing is it is accurate in terms of speed and distance. I did a 5 minute warm up at 6km/h and then cranked it all the way up to 7.2km/h for 4km. I did 4 km in 32 minutes. The bloke next to me was running at the same cadence as me (our steps were at the same pace) except he was running at 13km/h. I don't like the treadmill. If you want to think about how slow you are going, or how far you have yet to run, then maybe the treadmill is a good idea. Those red numbers ticking over slowly were mesmerising. Worse than me and my problem with checking my watch. It was cooler, maybe. But I can see I would become very bored, very quickly. Still, I gave it a go. And I did 4km - in 32 minutes - which is about what I run normally. At least now I know for sure my pace and the accuracy of the distance, so the run was good in that respect. But I will stick to the outdoors. Summer will end.

4 comments:

MorseyRuns said...

At least there were no flies!

Kathryn said...

You can always put a towel or something over the display. Personally I like seeing the numbers tick down though.

Good luck with outdoors :)

Em said...

I call it the Dreadmill!

Having said that I ran on a treadmill for 12 months before turning my back on them and heading outdoors. Like Kathryn I used to put a towel over the display.

You'd never get me back on one now, but if I lived up your way I would certainly consider it.

lg said...

Hey you are braver than me - I'm too scared to try it as I once watched a friend fall off one in a crowded gym - knowing my luck that will be me!

At least you gave it a go to compare