Sunday, December 31, 2006

I felt the "buzz"!!

10km this morning. I'm pretty pleased with that. It was a run/walk and it took me an hour and 35 minutes but at least I covered the distance. Percy tells me I walked 6.3km of it. LOL!! My running is so slow it registers as walking speed!!! I thought about changing the configuration of the speeds but it might be nice to gradually see the change from walking to jogging. I have not ever registered a "run" so that will be nice too.

I'm feeling a lot more confident. I just need to be patient, and I will begin to see changes. I just need to think about where I was in terms of running and I realise I have come a long way.

Today at about 5-6km I was feeling really strong. I looked down at Percy and noticed I was running at 8.6km/h. Now I realise that is very slow for most, but I am used to seeing 6.7km/h or SOMETIMES 7.5km/h. Certainly nothing with an 8 in front of it!! And I felt good. My running felt easy and it was wonderful! It didn't last long. After about 6minutes I had slowed down but man, during that 6 minutes I wanted to take on the world! I want THAT feeling all the time!!!

I have to keep an eye on the weather for my runs in the next week because we are getting a cyclone. We expect to be put on cyclone watch tomorrow and then cyclone alert on Tuesday. One thing about cyclones is that you generally get plenty of warning. Not like earthquakes or something. Hubby went around the house yesterday and secured all the cyclone shutters over our windows. We've moved the outdoor furniture either inside the house or into the shed. All we need to do is put the pot plants into the shed just before we get hit. Last year we were a bit more organised and had cyclone stores in the cupboard (emergency food and water) but this year I think we have been a little complacent. We went to the supermarket and stocked up, like a lot of other locals. There are no baked beans left and little bottled water!! I'm not sure what the deal is with baked beans, but it seems to be staple food during a cyclone. If the cyclone brings rain we will probably be cut off from the world so there will be no food for about four days, so we need to make sure we've got stuff especially if we lose power. All we can do is sit back and hope like hell we don't get a direct hit. It's a big state, plenty of coastline for the cyclone to cross - we'll be right.

7 comments:

Sekhmet said...

Mmmm, baked beans.....

Congrats on the 10k! I started out running on the tready at just over 8km/hour and used to find that hard to keep going - don't worry, just keep on pushing and you'll soon find that your 8.5kph is a thing of the past as you're zooming around ;)

Have a great NYE!

Kathryn said...

Well done on the running speed. Woohoo.

I'm not sure I'd want to be surviving on baked beans if I was stuck in a confined space with people!

MorseyRuns said...

Apparently baked beans are good for the heart.... Good work with the 10km run especially the 6 minutes of endorphins- just need to find a way of bottling that feeling.

Anonymous said...

OMG a Cyclone!!! You sound so relaxed about it all. I'd be having babies by now!

And you can't go past a meal of Baked Beans on Toast.

Congratulations on your 10km run...what a fantastic effort.

2007 is definitely going to be a good year for running!

Em said...

Baked Beans, that's because you can eat them cold as well I suppose.

Congrats on that 10km

I'll keep an eye on the news for that cyclone, hope it passes you by.

lg said...

You rock lady!!!! I'd be shouting from the rooftops if I could do that! Well done Celeste, that feeling will keep you going, who gives a crap about the speed - you are running!!

My, I do think you are quite calm about the whole major catastrophe thing but hey, at least there is some warning with you! Hope all stays well with you and hopefully you won't need the baked beans!

Anonymous said...

Good Lord, how the hell can you talk about running when you might be hit with a cyclone!! Get stocked up girl, we don't want you starving to death!! Seriously though, hope it doesn't hit your area.

Congrats on the 10k. Who cares how fast you are going at least you are doing the distance :)

Happy New Year!