Thursday, December 14, 2006

New shoes

Had a great 5km run this morning. I ran my new route again and I still haven't quite worked out the km markers, and because I am not timing things anymore it has not been important. There is one part of the route where I can add on an extra block to bring the total run to 7km, but I was feeling kind of lazy so decided to only go for 4km.

When I got back and looked at the map I printed off gmaps I realised I had run 5km! A nice little surprise - especially since I have only been getting nasty surprises in relation to my distances lately!

I felt sort of semi-strong and managed the distance without stopping. Of course I expect to cover these distances without stopping now, but it is still a satisfying feeling to actually make it.

I had a couple of weird days Tuesday and Wednesday with work and stuff and only managed 2.5km on Wednesday which was supposed to be a rest day, but then did nothing on Tuesday. So I supposed it evens itself out - and I'm back on track today.

I have a new pair of shoes! I really wish I had more experience in these things because I don't know if the shoe shop diddled me or not. I am very excited to report I am the proud owner of a pair of Asics Kinsai but my husband was very distressed to find out I paid $300 for them. I hope they are worth it!!! They are certainly very comfortable and I run without pain (but I had no real injuries to start with so that's no indication). Add onto that a $30 pair of Thorlos. I never knew socks could be so expensive. I haven't told my husband how much the socks were! All of this seems extrordinarily expensive. I don't know how people have pairs they rotate! I am going to wrap the shoes in Christmas paper and put them under the tree! (But I get to use them before Christmas too!!) I suspect Santa will no longer be bringing me my Garmin :(. Oh well, by next year I'll be well and truly ready for it!

I am going to record the distances in my shoes and see how many kms I get out of them. Starting to sound like a real runner, hey.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just the other day I sat and worked out how much I have spent on my feet since starting runing in March. It worked out to be over $1000, DOH!!! Of course that is including my new orthotics and shoes that I have just had to buy. I am definitely going to be a runner now even if it kills me, lol!!
How do you do work out your running maps to print?

Celeste said...

Hi Lee. I use gmaps (someone posted a link on the forum). I have measured my route and saved it. Then I zoom out so the whole route can be seen and print the screen.