Monday, March 19, 2007

18km. Oh dear.

I did 18km today, but before you panic Ang, 13km of it was walking. So much for my 10% rule. I was on my feet for 3 hours! And boy are my feet sore!!!!

I had no intention of doing a run/walk over 18km today - it was as a result of a miscommunication with hubby. I sometimes run or walk to meet him as he walks home from work. Today I THOUGHT that's what we had arranged. I decided I'd walk for a km then run as fast as I could for a km, then walk for a km and so on. I expected to meet him about 5 or 6km into the run. I figured it would be a sort of faster session, with a big long recovery between runs.

Percy tells me I did a marvellous job! My runs were 6.53, 6.34, 6.44, 7.16 and 7.03!! :) But I gave it everything and I was absolutely stuffed when I finished each km.

The problem was, I ended up 10km from home at hubby's work, with no sign of hubby and no other way home except to walk!! A quick call to hubby and he was still at work, so I stretched while he got changed and we walked home together (via the city so it was a bit quicker).

Now I'm sitting here in my skins about to soak my aching feet in a tub of water!! But I'm secretly very pleased about the time on my feet! Only 5km running, but 3 hours exercising. Surprisingly my legs are not sore, but my feet are. Plus I think I need to rethink my *ahem* underwear for such a long time - a little chafing. All good practice for BUNBURY!!! I am now confident I will make the distance - even if I walk!!!
However it will be quite a while before I do something as stupid as 18km again!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should have seen my eyes open wide when I read that title!
Talk about a kick up the arse - I must get out more.

Sekhmet said...

I nearly fell off my chair when I saw you post title!!! Now I'm awake LOL

Good onya Celeste - no wonder your feet are sore! :)

MorseyRuns said...

My feet just ache thinking about it! (And my underwear chaffs just thinking about it too!) That is a long time- but you are right, good practise, I like the idea. Now you have a very good idea of what Bunbury will be like. Hope you drank a lot of water- it sounds like it is still warm over there. (My mum is in Perth visiting the grandkids)

Kathryn said...

Nice one :) Hope the feet are feeling better now.

2P said...

I like the look of that 6.34 Celeste - wouldn't ya love to string a few of those puppies together? You will one day soon the way your going!

Google a product called Sports Shield - it is brilliant.

Sarah said...

WOW!!! The thought of 3 hrs on my feet ... makes me tired just thinking of it!! good on you!

JH said...

nice run! did you see any dolphins? My mum lives in Perth and works at the uni down there, and she swears there are dolphins in the river. I've never seen any.

LBTEPA said...

VERY IMPRESSIVE INDEED!!!!
It's evidence that all you hard work is paying off :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, 18km is a big acheivement even if it was accidental. Have you tried BodyGlide for chaffing and blisters - works a treat for me.

Unknown said...

Crikey, I thought!!! I know I have a bit of catching up to do but that is plain ridiulous, lol.

I have just recently also been introduced to Mr Chaffing, not nice!!

Well done, Celeste, hope the feet have recovered!

Flea said...

Wow!!! I'm impressed! Well done!

Anonymous said...

I reckon that's just fine Celeste, any time on your feet is great, just take it easy the next day :-)

Kathy said...

Phew! I feel like I've walked half those steps with you, just reading about it.

It's a wonderful effort. Those times sound great. Keep up the good work.