Sunday, March 11, 2007

Darlington fun run 8km

I went to the Darlington Half Marathon today and they had an 8km option so I ran the 8km. I was very pleased with myself because I lasted the whole 8km. It was an out and back course with the first half predominately uphill which meant it was mostly downhill coming home. Best way to have a run! I had the most awesome negative split! It still took me 63 minutes so I'm not breaking any records but I was at 4km in 34 minutes so it only took me 29 to get home!!!!

This is my pace chart - I got faster and faster and faster!

After my initial excitement, I settled into the run and I felt strong! The gentleman (Bob) who I was chasing at the 5km fun run the other week was there again. I was in front of him most of the way today, but he gradually reeled me in. He ran with me for the last couple of k and I really needed to dig deep. I was struggling at the end and had no idea my speed was so good! Bob pushed me and then right at the end, he stopped to let me go across the line in front of him! What a nice bloke!! He shook my hand and told me it was a good run, and I felt great!

THAT's what running is all about!!

I dragged a friend along too, and she walked the 8km. I was so proud of her. After I finished, I toddled back along the route to walk with her to the finish. She was the last of the 8k runners and the half marathoners had already started to finish. It was a lovely morning!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great result Pilbara. Congrats on your first 8k fun run. You certainly seem to have used a bit of zip at the end there.

Kathryn said...

Well done. Maybe you should get Bob's number and rope him into training partner duty.

MorseyRuns said...

What a great negative split- that is fantastic.

JH said...

Well done Celeste. It's not still 42 over there is it?

Anonymous said...

Celeste - well done on the 8K - good job. What a great bloke Bob sounds like - I've always said that the running community is one of the friendliest groups there is!

Anonymous said...

Well done, and that's a great looking graph. It slopes the right way.

Kathy said...

Congratulations Celeste. That's great news. And you still had energy to walk with your friend!

Sarah said...

well done Celeste!!! That's awesome!

Anonymous said...

Gotta love those downhills after running up the blighters :)

Congrats on a great run.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic run Celeste. Plenty more to come I'm sure

Anonymous said...

Looks like you'd be my perfect pacing partner. Shame you're a bit out of the way.

Anonymous said...

Well Done Celeste. Thanks for the training runs, can't wait to see where we will be in 12 weeks.

Keep it up.

2P said...

What a supurb negative split - great stuff Celeste.

Anonymous said...

Top effort, big pat on the back for the negative split, that always brings a smile to my face too.

Moving to Perth and connecting with other runners really is bringing out the best in you, keep it up.