Sunday, March 25, 2007

I think it will be OK

I went for my planned run with Bob this morning. As soon as we got started I was nattering to him about shin splints and sore shins and that I needed all the advice I could get. Despite the fact that my Asics shoes only have 350km on them, it does, indeed, appear that I need new shoes. Bob, who is a nice bloke but subtle as a shark attack, said my extra weight is wearing my shoes a lot faster than "normal" people. No beating around the bush here.

However, Bob doesn't seem to think that the shoes were the only reason my shin(s) were/are getting sore. Ever since my first funrun, Bob has been around. He has seen my meteoric improvement from a 32 minute 4km to a 63 minute 8km to a 85 minute 10km. My distances have been steadily increasing since I moved to Perth. Add onto that my desire to run as fast as I can (which, admitedly is not very fast) and he thinks I've done too much too soon.

He thinks I should either cut back on my distances, or cut back on pushing myself to get faster. I decided as I was running that distance is much more important to me than speed. So Bob and I decided to run very slowly this morning. And NO SHIN PAIN!!! (It was sore before I started, and is sore now I've stopped, but I couldn't even feel it for the first 8km this morning.) The last two km I became conscious of the pain, so it seems 10km might be my limit for a while - at least until my body gets used to it. And no upping the speed, AND upping the km.

Thank you everyone for your advice - it is greatly appreciated. I will continue to ice 2P, and I take on board the cross training suggestions (if it's not running, then it's not fun! But I'll try.). I will try a few slower runs and see how my shins go. If they are not improved in a week, then it's off to a sports physio. But today I managed a slow 10km quite easily.

Bob runs the Runners World shop here in Perth so I am going to visit him this week and get a new pair of shoes. He'll fit me and check my gait and all that sort of stuff. While I'm there, I might just pick up one of them fandangled fuel belts too.

Oh by the way - 10km this morning in 86 minutes.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL, sounds like you have found an interesting running partner there, not subtle but probably right. Don't sweat it though, you have a fantastic attitude and continue to take positive steps in the right direction.

The move to Perth really has seen you come along nicely.

Keep up the great work and the improvement will continue :-)

Sarah said...

I like the sound of your running partner - at least he's not going to rip you off with your shoes is he? I dread buying new shoes and some spotty 18 y.o selling me the wrong shoes ...

10k is nothing to sniff at - at least you seem to have figured out what's causing you grief before it does more damage.

Anonymous said...

I have to change my shoes all the time, say about 250km. Its a shocking expense but I have a cupboard full of perfectly acceptable trainers to be used as everyday walking shoes. I don't think I'll be wearing ordinary shoes for years to come.

Kathy said...

Hey, at least Bob had the courage to say it to you. He sounds like great value. It wouldn't have occurred to me, but I'm going to pay a bit of attention and change my shoes early too.

You have been improving by leaps and bounds Celeste. It sounds like consolidation is the way to go for the moment.

Flea said...

So you met Bob, he and his shop is as famous as Kings Park in Perth! I love that shop, haven't been in there for a while though, might go next time I need shoes too.
I agree, endurance comes first, and every coach should be able to tell you that, so slow down girl :)

Ruune said...

Well done Celeste. Even if you don't increase your pace for a while, increasing your distance will make a huge difference to your ongoing development as well.

Vicky said...

Yep, always increase one or the other at one time Celeste - not both. PMSL at Bob and your 'subtle as a shark attack' comment! But seriously, hope it comes right. I've had recurring shin splints in the past - not nice. Only way to cure 'em - rest/ice till feeling better, ease back into running very slowly and gradually with plenty of rest in between each run, lots of stretching and continue to ice and massage with anti-inflam gel after every run, run on grass while getting back into it and turn the shoes over often... See, not much to it really! Then again, this may not be the problem - if it persists, get an expert opinion, and sooner rather than later.

Oh and I love the way you 'almost forget' to tell us about your (10km) distance these days runner girl!! :-)

MAR.

Anonymous said...

I concur with everyone else. Don't worry about speed, that will take care of itself in time.

I retire my runners (Asics Kayanos) around the 800 km mark and my weight hovers around 77-78 kg. Everybody's different.

Anonymous said...

You will know when you need new shoes - the body hasa way of telling you.

Hope Bob does the right thing by you ...

And well done on teh 10 kms ....

Take care

Eat Em

LBTEPA said...

It's literally a pain that we only realise we shouldn't overdo it after we already have! At least you most likely haven't done any permanent damage. I'd go and see a sports physio anyway b/c they can give you some good management tips so you can increase safely.
cheerio

Samurai Running said...

Happy you seem to be OK. Yes, maybe your going to long and/or too fast for this stage of your running life.

I'm OK too far from the epicenter of that earthquake. Thanks for your concern.

Andrew(ajh) said...

Celeste, a book I was reading said that a lot of people get shin splints from their running style. It said if you land heel first with your foot in front of the body it multiplies the force on your body considerably. Maybe one of the running coaches at your club could look at your gait and see if there are any problems there?