Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Proud of myself

OK so it's not a fluke. I ran 10km AGAIN today. Still slow - 83 minutes but I'm starting to become convinced that it's an achievable distance. Well, I've only managed it 3 times, so clearly it's still a novelty - but nonetheless I managed it. And I think I managed it fairly well too. Km number 8 was my fastest at 7.15 pace. Not sure where I pulled that from but there was a bit of a downhill and I felt strong so I just went for it. There were a few hills today so my pace was a bit all over the shop, but I enjoyed the feeling of striding out (if you can call 8 minute k's striding!!).

I wanted to run to my new workplace at the top of Kings Park to see if I could commute the distance like warriorwoman. It only seems to be 5km, so I reckon I could easily run there and back, depending of if they have showers and change rooms. At worst, I could cycle. We'll see how it pans out.

Mighty proud of myself, just quietly! I'm starting to think of trying 12km but that is SO FAR!! When all of this started, my ultimate goal was to run 10km. I'd still like to improve my time, but I've achieved that goal. I remember in Karratha doing a run/walk over the distance and wondering how I would EVER run it all. And now I have. I'm heading to BUNBURY for the half marathon but I never dreamed I would run it all. My intention in Bunbury is to cover the distance (still a mighty feat) but as a run/walk. Now there is a tiny, tiny voice just whispering that maybe, just maybe, a half marathon CAN be run. I don't think it is realistic to aim for 21km non-stop by May - but I might just go further than I ever thought.

12 comments:

LBTEPA said...

Dream big, mate - you never know! I got some good half-marathon advice from Lee Troop (namedropping madly) - during the run, only think about getting halfway eg 11km, then half of what's left, eg 17km, then you've only got 4km to go and you can DO that :)
You're doing so well, congratulations :)

Flea said...

Doing the whoop hoop happy dance for you!!!
Are you riding this weekend the Freeway bike hike?

2P said...

Wooohooo another perfect 10 ;-)

One way to improve your run to walk ratio is actually walk earlier but for less time - try googling Jeff Galloway - I use this method (or a variation there of) whenever I am trying to increase my distance.

Kathryn said...

You are really making huge improvements. The 12 km is definitely within your grasp.

Anonymous said...

What a great goal and what great progression you're making.
Your blog is going to make for interesting reading over the next few months.

MorseyRuns said...

I think of the 21.1 as being just two 10km runs- one that is fun, and one that hurts a bit! You are doing so well. Looking forward to catching up in Bunbury.

Anonymous said...

There is no question in my mind that you can do a half marathon, just make sure you work up to it at the right pace. It doesn't matter if it is this year, or next, you'll do it for sure.

Kathy said...

Wow Celeste. I can't imagine running for 10 km yet. Well, I can, but involves lots of puffing and panting, a bright red face, and an ambulance waiting at the finish line. Oh, and it would take me much longer than 83 minutes.
Good on you! Keep up the good work.

running uphill said...

So it definitely wasn't a fluke! I'll be doing my first half-marathon this year so I look forward to reading your progress.

I'm thinking that I'll break it into 3 7k runs as that is my favourite length training run.

Anonymous said...

You're forever improving and 12 km is on the horizon. It's only 2 k's more, you know you can run/walk 2 km.

Sarah said...

wow!!! good on you! You CAN do the 12k run ... And I'll bet you'll be doing the HM before you know it.

I love your positive thinking - you've given me a lift just reading this entry.

lg said...

Of course you can run a half marathon woman!

I know nothing about them, sheesh, I can't even run 10kms but I have seen your consistant progress and dedication and I know if you put your mind to it, you can do it!

Looking forward to the 12km report! BTW, I'm so jealous, I'd love to be able to run or ride to my work, then again, my clientele can be a bit dodgy so it is probably a good thing I live far away!