Friday, March 16, 2007

Invoking the 10% rule

I was so inspired by Scott's post yesterday that I was just itching to get out there this morning. I planned on jogging to hubby's work (yes, he's home safe!) to pick up the car and drive home. It's 10km but I wanted to try a different route, and cross the bridge and run on the other side of the river. That's the route for the Bridges Fun Run and I wanted to test it out. But then a little voice told me that perhaps I ought to invoke the 10% rule. I've had a FANTASTIC week, and I'm all inspired, but I don't want to stuff it up by overdoing it. Better to enjoy a shorter run, than blow up trying to do more and more and more.

So, I drove with hubby half way to his work and jumped out of the car at a set of traffic lights (it's OK the lights were red and hubby was driving!!). Then I jogged the rest of the way, picked up the car as planned and drove home. Just a shade under 5km.

But I felt GUILTY!! I'm really not sure why. I know I'm being sensible but I feel like I'm slacking off somehow. The 5km was hard too! My usual pace (well, I've only got one pace) and I could have easily walked it, but I didn't. So while my brain feels guilty, my body is telling me to take it easy, and another part of my brain says I'm doing the right thing.

I just want to RUN! But I must be strong and behave myself. I've come so far, I don't want to be stopped by an injury caused by overenthusiasm. And anyway, 5km is still pretty good!

9 comments:

Kathryn said...

Oh I know that feeling only too well. I think from years of making excuses not to exercise, my brain now thinks that taking it easy means instant failure! I am getting better but I think it takes time to retrain your thinking so that you trust yourself that an easy day is just an easy day.

Ruune said...

I think taking an easy day is an easier mental battle to deal with than not taking it easy and having one of those crappy crappy runs that make you feel like you are a big unfit loser. That was just me saying that taking it easy is a good idea.

Although I do have the impetus to continue pushing myself well beyond when I should because I am enjoying myself.

Sarah said...

You need easy days. You din't want to burn out now that you're doing 10k on a regular basis!!

2P said...

Nuffin wrong with 5k Celeste. V. good advice from the gals above - easier days are an extremely important part of any program.

Some times you need those hard days to make those little micro-tears in your muscles and then it is the rest that allows them to heal and become stronger than they were before - this in essence is how muscles grow.

Anonymous said...

LOL, I glad you qualified that with the fact that you weren't driving the car!

There have been many of times when I have wanted to abandon mine and just head out for a run!

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean Celeste, I feel the same way after some shorter runs. I get the guilts as soon as I take the turning towards home, thinking I should be going longer. But it is more sensible to vary it and not push too hard. Hey, that little train is starting to speed up a bit across the top of your blog.

Wanda Ring said...

You're catholic aren't you!

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Definately stick with the slow build up.
We must be patient.You body will be thankful,and as the great poo-bah-head (Mick Malthouse) said

"The earth is slow but Eddie Maguire still makes me want to barf"

..or something like that.


You should be super proud of yourself Celeste!:)

Flea said...

Make that easy day a recovery day, so you are at least active! Where I use to work we said to clients make your recovery/resting day the day you wash the car or mown the lawn, so you still are doing something and not nothing.
Well done and congrats on the runs.

Kathy said...

I'm so glad you've updated your list of blogs, as I use your list to get my daily blog fix. I'll enjoy discovering the new ones you've listed.

From everything I've read, it's hard to do the slow runs and I imagine the same applies to having the self-discipline not to overextend yourself.

Instead of feeling guilty, I think you should be proud of yourself for being able to set a goal and for having the strength of mind to achieve it, even though you were tempted to run further.