Friday, March 09, 2007

George and Jacob

I was supposed to be on a rest day today but I've spent the past two days listening to the live stream of the cyclone coverage up in the Pilbara and I felt a great need to get outside! I decided to just have a run/walk - whatever I wanted to do, just to enjoy the outing. I ended up covering 5km but only ran 2km. It was so nice to get outside and see people going about their normal business - it helps to reinforce that life goes on even after such devestation.

Cyclone Jacob has now intensified and is bearing down so hubby will not be home any time soon. The picture below is from the weather bureau. I've never seen anything like it. Two complete severe systems in the one graph. I'm glad I'm not in Karratha but at the same time, I'd like to be there sharing this with them. I haven't heard from hubby but I'm sure he's fine - just very, very busy.

Another night listening to the cyclone coverage on the ABC...

*Edit* Just heard from hubby - he's in Port Hedland!! Aaaarrrgghh!!! The company that he works for covers the entire Pilbara, not just Karratha, so he's in Hedland. He flew there from Karratha and has no clothes, no toilteries, nothing. Now he's stuck there with no power, no water and extreme heat - wearing the one set of clothes. He reckons he hasn't slept and the clean up continues - he should get some sleep tonight before more clean up tomorrow and then bracing for Jacob. If there are any shops open, he will buy some clothes - I know people go to extremes to get new clothes, but this is ridiculous!

5 comments:

Kathy said...

I was thinking about you and your hubby today when I heard the cyclone coverage. I hope that comfort food and those dvd's are helping. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

Hope hubby is fine in the cyclone zone!

MorseyRuns said...

I can't believe that he would go all that way, get stuck in a cyclone, get prepared to brave another one, just to get a new set of clothes- your man is crazy!
I am glad that he is okay though- I was a bit worried when I heard about it on the news.

lg said...

Fingers crossed all is ok for your hubby.

Congrats on the 10km - enough with the walking pace comment - you're running hon, and that's all there is to it! Had to laugh at the vanity fartlek comment!

Flea said...

My hubby again was supposed to be flewn out to work at Hope Downs but can't go now because of this, I am very relieved!