Wednesday, March 21, 2007

8km club run

Well there was a BBQ tonight so Jenny, Bob and I headed out at our usual pace, but Jenny and I wanted to be back for the BBQ. Bob did 10km but we are so slow that the BBQ would have been over when we finished the run, so Jenny opted to turn around at about 6km, so we finished at about 8.5km. Still over an hour - but get a load of this pace chart!
I seem to get faster the further I go. I'm really not sure how I manage that. In the first half, I was running with Bob mainly and he did most of the talking. At about 6km, Bob kept going so I ran with Jenny and she kept asking me questions! I had to answer her, and you know I think that's why I went faster!! Bizarre, but there it is!
It was hard work, but at the same time I felt strong. Even Jenny noticed the change of pace, and she said my breathing is not as noticeable as when I first started! I have a sore shin tonight, so I am icing it and stretching - I hope it's not because I was running on the path instead of the grass. Naughty, naughty.

10 comments:

2P said...

Then it is pretty obvious - you need to run further Celeste :-)

Nice work on the run and yes - make sure you keep up the ice to that shin - well done mate.

Samurai Running said...

Hey Celeste

That mapped out run looks like a beauty along the side of a golf course, isn't it?

Kathryn said...

I get faster when I run further. I've realised lately that it takes me about 3-4 km to get fully warmed up. The good thing about running longer distances is that I'm warmed up before I finish :)

Anonymous said...

My splits usually look like that too, its as if I despair in the middle and then pick up again as I visualise the bath at the end.
It definately helps to have some company though.

Sekhmet said...

I do beleive you suffer from the same thing that many of us do - that whole bolting for home like a horse thing ;) As soon as I get whiff of the fact I'm nearly at the end I speed up LOL

There is also something to be said for the magic 3k mark (Em knows about this too), that's where it all kinda falls into place and you start to feel much less like crap and don't even notice you're running :)

Sarah said...

Yeah, I reckon it takes a couple of km to find your rhythm and settle into a good pace.

You're doing so well! And that does look like a nice course!

Andrew(ajh) said...

Once you have a few km's under your belt - you get into "the zone" - I find that sometimes too.

Anonymous said...

dGreat running, I am the same take awhile to get into the groove. Look after your legs and thanks for all the great training we are doing.

Vicky said...

Nothing like the promise of a bbq at the end to keep ya going! ;-) That sure was a huge walk/run Celeste and to back it up with a club run is fantastic. Isn't it such an awesome feeling when you achieve something big like that for the first time? Thats practically a half marathon and you hadn't even planned it! Bunbury will be a breeze!

MAR.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on a fabulous run Celeste.

Michelle and I normally run faster in the last couple of km's of a run as we just want to get to the end and stop!!