Thursday, March 08, 2007

A new habit?

I made 10km without stopping again today. Goodness, if I'm not careful I'll make a habit out of this!! Another big thrill for me - but slower than last time. I seem to be very consistent with my speed. If I start slow, I maintain that speed the whole way. But if I start faster, I maintain THAT speed. Work it out. I went slow today with the intention of covering 10km but I didn't expect to run it all!! I thought my calves would give me a bit of grief but they were fine. I'm starting to feel fairly confident of lasting the distance in the Bridges fun run on April 1. In fact, I felt really good at the end of 10km this morning. The last km was my fastest and I wasn't puffed at all today. But I'm still travelling at walking speed, so it's not as impressive as it sounds.

A very slim, blonde haired girl wearing the latest tight fitting, skimpy running gear zoomed past me this morning. I thought she was running fairly effortlessly but I think she had an attack of vanity fartlek because not 20m in front of me she stopped and started walking. I overtook her and thought she would just start running and zip past me again, but she didn't. I'll take that as a little victory. Of course, she might have just finished 20km coincedently at that time, you never know.

In other news, Cyclone George is bearing down on Karratha. What was going to be a routine bunkering down for hubby has become a full scale alert at Category 4. (Cyclone Tracy was a Category 4 when it destroyed Darwin, and Larry was a Cat 4 in Innisfail, so things are a little concerning at the moment.) The building where he is is only engineered to withstand Category 3 but we think it should last a Category 4. Anyway, we'll find out tomorrow! The positive out of all this is that George will cross the coast sooner than expected (tomorrow) so hopefully hubby will be home sooner than expected, provided the aftermath is not too bad. Still, my thoughts are with him and the town. I know how damn scarey a Cat 4 cyclone can be, having survived Glenda last year. (AND there is a 2nd system off Christmas Island - Cyclone Jacob. We have to madly hope the two don't join.)

11 comments:

Kathryn said...

Nice going. I don't think you can assume just because someone looks fit, they are a better runner :)

MorseyRuns said...

Great effort on the 10km - that is fantastic. Hope the weather cools down and you can get 12 in soon!
I am pretty sure I can out run my skinny mates!

2P said...

Phew - that's lucky - for a moment there I thought you had joined a convent ;-)

Nice work on the 10k

Anonymous said...

Great work on the 10 kms ..... :-)

Don't be deceived by appearance - don't judge a book by its cover ....

Take care

Eat Em

running uphill said...

Go Celeste! She was probably checking you out and thinking how fit you are. Hope George behaves himself.

Andrew(ajh) said...

I am sure that skinny runner just knew you had her beaten and decided not to even try !

Kathy said...

Did you ever see yourself with a 10k a day habit? You go girl!

beakus said...

Fantastic run Celeste, I had that very same thing happen to me yesterday... so I would agree with the others re appearances :o)

Hope your hubs is okay, I can't even begin to imagine what a category 4 cyclone must be like, v scary and I keep my paws crossed all is well.

B.

Anonymous said...

"vanity fartlek", I am so stealing that term. I do tend to find that a lot of the time the skinny fit looking runners are in fact faster than me. But then most people are faster than me so that probably works anyway.

Well done on the 10km, I reckon you will break 80min easy if you are that close to doing it in training.

Sarah said...

hi celeste ... I'm really enjoying reading your blog and running accomplishments - as a new runner with a goal to run 10km, it's a real inspiration to read someone else doing it. congratulations!

Hope all is well with the cyclone ... growing up in Darwin, we went through a couple, they're pretty scary.

Anonymous said...

It s funny how we judge other runner's on appearance isn't it?? I do it all the time because even though my clothes always co-ordinate (thats the Virgo in me), I so plod along, lol!

Great going on your 10km, its got me shaking in my boots atm!